Question Cant decide on build/ feedback on parts

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
Ive been saving for a new pc build for a whilöe now seeing as my current build isnt keeping up with the games i want to play (plus everything has been upgraded to the point of me having to upgrade everything just for one singular component). Looking around the internet, and hours of research later i came upon two builds that seem to fit my budget and have enough power to hopefully sustain me for the next couple of years (Running with a 1440p monitor, preferably want high to ultra setting with at least 50+ fps).I wanted to post this here so i could get some feedback on the choice and maybe even get some info on components i need to switch out. Thanks in advance for answers!

My current build:
Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition (overclocked)
Intel Core i5-4570 (4 core, 4 thread)
14GB DDR3 RAM
B85M-E MoBo
ANTEC BP430 430W PSU RAIDMAX Blade ATX-298WY Black / Yellow Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Acer Predator XB271HU 144Hz 1440p Monitor
Fan cooling

Build 1 (parts chosen by me): https://pcpartpicker.com/user/alexswede/saved/#view=9cJzYJ
comes down to about 26000 SEK so about 2750 USD (sweden has a 25% sales tax). Not included in list is an Intel Optane m.2

Build 2 (pre-built by trusted website): https://www.webhallen.com/se/produc...407-i7-9700K-16GB-1TB-SSD-RTX-2080-8GB-Win-10
Currently on sale for 20000 kr (2150 USD) normally its around 26000 same as above.

Thanks for your answers and help!

There isn't a great deal of difference between the two. The prebuilt has an i7-9700k (8c/8t) compared to your build of the i7-8700k (6c/12t). Memory suggests these two are very close in performance for certain workloads, and cores are preferable to threads. But with both motherboards there is still the possibility of upgrading later.

Personally I'm more tempted by the prebuilt.

puffmusic

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
One thing I see with the prebuilt which in my opinion is a big nono. There's a Corsair H60 AIO in it. If you plan to overclock I would go with a double or triple fan depending on what case you plan to get. If you don't plan to overclock the H60 does fine. I would say there are some things in your build that could be improved.

I see you're going with a Z930 socket motherboard so I'm guessing you're overclocking. I'm currently running an i7-7700K @4.8GHz with a Corsair H100i v2 on quiet mode and get around 88°c under 100% load.

About the graphics card, I have to question what games you're playing. Do you need a 2080 or is a 2070/2060 a better option? Personally, I dislike prebuilds unless they're from a company I trust because a lot of them from like Walmart and BestBuy are really crappy for the price.
Side note: the pre-built pc here seems fine, but as I said earlier I question the H60 if you're gonna overclock, which I assume you're going to do with a Z930 board.

Now onto the processor. This depends on what you're doing. Overall the 9700K is probably better, but if you're rendering and video editing I think that the 12 threads on the 8700K might come in handy, but it does come at a cost of losing 2 cores. So if you're mainly gaming I say the 9700K.
One thing I notice is you're spending a lot extra on RGB in your PCPartPicker build. That is probably why it's more expensive.

Until you reply and tell me what you're mainly doing it's really hard for me to pick which build suits you better. But I still believe you can make it even better than both of these are.

Edit: just noticed the 1440p @144hz monitor, this might change stuff a bit.

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
One thing I see with the prebuilt which in my opinion is a big nono. There's a Corsair H60 AIO in it. If you plan to overclock I would go with a double or triple fan depending on what case you plan to get. If you don't plan to overclock the H60 does fine. I would say there are some things in your build that could be improved.

I see you're going with a Z930 socket motherboard so I'm guessing you're overclocking. I'm currently running an i7-7700K @4.8GHz with a Corsair H100i v2 on quiet mode and get around 88°c under 100% load.

About the graphics card, I have to question what games you're playing. Do you need a 2080 or is a 2070/2060 a better option? Personally, I dislike prebuilds unless they're from a company I trust because a lot of them from like Walmart and BestBuy are really crappy for the price.
Side note: the pre-built pc here seems fine, but as I said earlier I question the H60 if you're gonna overclock, which I assume you're going to do with a Z930 board.

Now onto the processor. This depends on what you're doing. Overall the 9700K is probably better, but if you're rendering and video editing I think that the 12 threads on the 8700K might come in handy, but it does come at a cost of losing 2 cores. So if you're mainly gaming I say the 9700K.
One thing I notice is you're spending a lot extra on RGB in your PCPartPicker build. That is probably why it's more expensive.

Until you reply and tell me what you're mainly doing it's really hard for me to pick which build suits you better. But I still believe you can make it even better than both of these are.

Edit: just noticed the 1440p @144hz monitor, this might change stuff a bit.
I usually play more graphically intensive games and core intensive, such as Battlefield (havent played much bf5 cause my current pc is garbo), division 2, rainbow six seige and others. Of course i do play less graphically intensive games and and those that dont need a beast pc. Im more looking to future proof my computer for the forseeable future.

puffmusic

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
I usually play more graphically intensive games and core intensive, such as Battlefield (havent played much bf5 cause my current pc is garbo), division 2, rainbow six seige and others. Of course i do play less graphically intensive games and and those that dont need a beast pc. Im more looking to future proof my computer for the forseeable future.

I see. I'm guessing you will be running medium settings or higher. Your current system isn't garbo, but I question the CPU. I'm currently looking to upgrade from my 1060 6GB card, but don't really need to upgrade it anytime soon, maybe in a year or so I will but for now it does the job since I don't like high settings and play on low settings, with full resolution and render scale though.
If you really have the budget for this PC you could go for it. But there are still certain things I would change about either one you're going for.

I made a PCPartPicker list that costs more than your system but has better P2P because of how I saved on some parts and went for a 2080 Ti, looking at benchmarks for the games you'll be playing a 2080 Ti is the only card that will get you to over 100 fps on ultra 1440p, for the games you're playing.

Here is the list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nNvdkd

Btw, you didn't answer all of my questions. I need to know if you're gonna be overclocking, if not you can save on the motherboard that's totally unnecessary if you're not overclocking.

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
I see. I'm guessing you will be running medium settings or higher. Your current system isn't garbo, but I question the CPU. I'm currently looking to upgrade from my 1060 6GB card, but don't really need to upgrade it anytime soon, maybe in a year or so I will but for now it does the job since I don't like high settings and play on low settings, with full resolution and render scale though.
If you really have the budget for this PC you could go for it. But there are still certain things I would change about either one you're going for.

I made a PCPartPicker list that costs more than your system but has better P2P because of how I saved on some parts and went for a 2080 Ti, looking at benchmarks for the games you'll be playing a 2080 Ti is the only card that will get you to over 100 fps on ultra 1440p, for the games you're playing.

Btw, you didn't answer all of my questions. I need to know if you're gonna be overclocking, if not you can save on the motherboard that's totally unnecessary if you're not overclocking.
To be honest i have never overclocked before, due to my current build having no internal cooling (last one broke and i cant find one that fits my mobo anymore). So i guess i would go with yes becuase i want to get as much out of this pc as possible.

Really like the list, but the more i read i think i want some 3000+ MHz RAM to OC. Not sure on the motherboard though, would appreciate some clarification there, the graphics card also seems to be fine, but deifintly not the best 2080ti out there. Does that build have potential for upgrades and OC? Otherwise i really appreciate the list ^^

Last edited:

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017

Reading on new egg the motherboard seems extremely faulty, but the graphics card seems almost to good to be true at that price but almost all review give it 5 stars. Any other motherboard you could possibly recommend?