Jan 30, 2019
Alright, I've been debating for weeks now on what kind of server to buy/build.

I am wanting to setup my home network with Windows Server 2019 running on a server PC. I would prefer to have the server in a tower chassis, with newer hardware, but I can't decide what CPUs would be best.

Should I rackmount (small home, no place to isolate the sound, really), or build everything in a tower? Something prebuilt like this... https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-End-V...Standard!49454!US!-1:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true
Should I run dual Xeon CPUs or a single Ryzen CPU?

Usage: I mainly plan on hosting SQL databases, maybe a gameserver or two, live feeds of video cameras around my house from POE IP cameras (and a small website to view them on from on the network), ACTIVE DIRECTORY, and possibly a PLEX server.

THanks.

Solution
Idea: What if I buy something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-End-V...Standard!49454!US!-1:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true and put everything into a full tower ATX case??
Generally it is VERY difficult to move a server motherboard to a tower case. They (server motherboards) are designed for the space they occupy, they have sensors expecting a bunch of fans connected, and non-standard front panel and power. If you want a dual socket motherboard, then get a workstation. A Z00/Z820 or a Dell T7500. They are already in tower cases.

kanewolf

Titan
A 2U rack mount server is very loud. I would not recommend a 1U/2U server unless you can isolate it.

You really need to examine WHAT you are going to be doing. For example you list "SQL databases" ... How many instances of which software? How much total space? How many transactions per second? etc. "Video cameras around my house" again, how many, what bitrate, how long a retention, etc? You need to create some sizing estimates to figure out how many disks and what size. How much RAM. CPU resources are usually the least taxed resource in home servers.

Jan 30, 2019
A 2U rack mount server is very loud. I would not recommend a 1U/2U server unless you can isolate it.

You really need to examine WHAT you are going to be doing. For example you list "SQL databases" ... How many instances of which software? How much total space? How many transactions per second? etc. "Video cameras around my house" again, how many, what bitrate, how long a retention, etc? You need to create some sizing estimates to figure out how many disks and what size. How much RAM. CPU resources are usually the least taxed resource in home servers.

Honestly, very small... maybe like once instance and like 5 databases or more at a time. Video cameras, not sure yet because we're doing that afterwards. Probably like 4 cameras, not sure of the bitrate. Just recording around the clock.

kanewolf

Titan
Idea: What if I buy something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-End-V...Standard!49454!US!-1:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true and put everything into a full tower ATX case??
Generally it is VERY difficult to move a server motherboard to a tower case. They (server motherboards) are designed for the space they occupy, they have sensors expecting a bunch of fans connected, and non-standard front panel and power. If you want a dual socket motherboard, then get a workstation. A Z00/Z820 or a Dell T7500. They are already in tower cases.

Solution