[SOLVED] Can't decide on which MB to get

Adrian_19

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Hello guys! I'm in the process of building a new pc which will be comprised of 2 x 3600MHZ ram sticks, a Ryzen 7 3700x and a Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+, in a Phanteks P400A case.

The problem is that i can't make my mind on what MB to get. I want to overclock the 3700x, even though i've heard you can't go that far with it. I would also want it to be decent looking.

One option would be the Asus X570-P, which i know has some very great VRM's, but that's pretty much its strongest point. I found a great deal on it at 149$ refurbished. Keep in mind that i don't live in the US and prices are a little bit higher.

Another option is the Aorus x470 Ultra Gaming, which i think looks good. The price is 142$, also refurbished.

I've also heard good things about Asus TUF X470-PLUS GAMING, and it's 158$.

I really like how the Asus Prime x470-PRO looks, it would fit well with my setup, but it's more expensive than the others, at 194$. I know it's probably not worth it but it's the best looking MB i could find in this price range, which is already a stretch for me.

These are just some that i was looking at. If anyone could give me some suggestions regarding them, or other motherboards that i should look at, it would be more than welcomed.

Thank you!

Solution
The real question is, do you want this:

xaRUv68zPdfF04tV8-Xk5_ePOau9UMEsBxtM3gPrrGc.jpg

Or this:

107188_1244010472.jpg

Because there is plenty of shiny crap out there, but there are few ACTUAL nuggets of gold (Or diamonds in the rough) to be found when it comes to motherboards. It's usually, almost always, a matter of paying substantially more if you want something of excellent quality. It doesn't matter, at all, how good a motherboard looks if you end up with problems, no matter what kind of problems they are.

I've built three systems with the...
If you use the models that are recommended and have good results from use with the 3950x at the following link, then you will not go wrong. Personally, I find it hard choosing anything for this platform other than the B450 Tomahawk Max or Pro Carbon AC when they offer just as good of performance as a 250 dollar X570 board, for a hell of a lot less money.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

Adrian_19

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
If you use the models that are recommended and have good results from use with the 3950x at the following link, then you will not go wrong. Personally, I find it hard choosing anything for this platform other than the B450 Tomahawk Max or Pro Carbon AC when they offer just as good of performance as a 250 dollar X570 board, for a hell of a lot less money.

I've seen the TOMAHAWK before and I know it's a solid choice but it just doesn't look that good to me. I think it's kind of plain.

I can't find the Carbon AC on sale anywhere.

I know the Strix B450-F is pretty crappy on temperatures, but I found a Strix B450-E at just about the same price as the F and a little bit higher than the TOMAHAWK and I've read that it has some better VRMs. Do you think it would be worth it? I also kind of like how it's looking.

The real question is, do you want this:

xaRUv68zPdfF04tV8-Xk5_ePOau9UMEsBxtM3gPrrGc.jpg

Or this:

107188_1244010472.jpg

Because there is plenty of shiny crap out there, but there are few ACTUAL nuggets of gold (Or diamonds in the rough) to be found when it comes to motherboards. It's usually, almost always, a matter of paying substantially more if you want something of excellent quality. It doesn't matter, at all, how good a motherboard looks if you end up with problems, no matter what kind of problems they are.

I've built three systems with the Tomahawk, and none with the Pro Carbon, but over the last year or so I don't think I've seen anybody come here with problems that the motherboard was to blame for, at least, not in a way that was consistently obvious that there were issues with the model itself. Reviews bear out that these boards are solid. How they look, I understand it's part of the deal too these days, but honestly I don't see much reason why the motherboard has to look like a parade float when practically everything else you put on it or around it is going to anyhow. I'd much prefer, and do, that the board gives me no problems and offers very solid, dependable performance.

And anybody who says that the motherboard has little or nothing to do with performance, is just plain dumb.

As far as ASUS goes, after some recent fiascos that have been experienced by a few people on this forum, plus one tremendous one from one of our moderators, I am very hesitant to recommend anything sold by ASUS anymore, despite the fact that I have one of their motherboards in my current machine and have recommended them prodigiously in the past. If something goes wrong with your hardware and you can't get support, or they send you used, damaged parts as replacement items, then that company goes right to the bottom of the list of recommendations in my opinion.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS