[SOLVED] Can't decided between these two

Kiaeneto

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
I'm looking at getting the 9900k or if not at least the 8700k, the two boards I'm looking at are the Asus Extreme or the Asus Formula. With the formula I wouldn't be doing a custom loop at this time just an AIO, will that matter temp wise for the VRM? I also like the aesthetic of the board with the OLED display but my buddy was telling me with the extreme I would have better OC of the CPU then the formula, is that true? Any input on these?

Solution
On the VRM question, not really so long as you have a good case with decent airflow....I have a 8700K overclocked with an AIO on a Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard and have never had issues on VRM temps but I have a decent airflow case in the H500P Mesh.

The 9900K does run hotter but you have a very good VRM setup on both the Extreme and the Formula, so no issues whatsoever...

As to which will provide a better overclock, this really depends on your CPU more than the motherboard as they are both top end motherboards.......I think they both will hit the same max overclock and ultimately it will all come down to your cooling setup as that will be the only limiting factor....

As to the 9900K or 8700K, it just comes down to money...both...
On the VRM question, not really so long as you have a good case with decent airflow....I have a 8700K overclocked with an AIO on a Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard and have never had issues on VRM temps but I have a decent airflow case in the H500P Mesh.

The 9900K does run hotter but you have a very good VRM setup on both the Extreme and the Formula, so no issues whatsoever...

As to which will provide a better overclock, this really depends on your CPU more than the motherboard as they are both top end motherboards.......I think they both will hit the same max overclock and ultimately it will all come down to your cooling setup as that will be the only limiting factor....

As to the 9900K or 8700K, it just comes down to money...both CPU's are top end and on my 8700K, overclocking is a breeze to 5GHz and a little more if I push vcore....If you are into a lot of productivity workloads then the 9900K if not and more of a gaming rig, the 8700K is also fantastic..Bottom line, if you can afford the 9900K, then that is the best at the moment...

Solution

Kiaeneto

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
The build is just for gaming/streaming. The most multitasking would be gaming, streaming and having chrome open with a couple tabs. I'll be building it in the Phanteks - ENTHOO EVOLV X case, with a 360 AIO on the front with pull/push and three 120mm top exhaust fans with an AIO 1080ti on the rear for exhaust.

That will make for a nice build....If streaming is going to be key, then the 9900K will give you a better alround experience and handle gaming and streaming a lot better than the 8700K....

TRENDING THREADS