Can't delete a folder on the Start menu.

I've got a folder on my start menu that I can't delete. When I try to
delete it I get a message that says: "Startup is a Windows system folder
and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be deleted." The
name of the folder is not 'Startup'. There is another folder with that
name. I do a search on the drive that contains Windows XP and can't find
anything with the same name. What's going on? How do I delete it?

Don J

The file system on the computer is NTFS or FAT32, so please check the
security setting of this folder:

1. Log on as Administrator.
2. Open Windows Explorer. Click Tools and Click Folder Options.
3. Click View. Clear the check box of Use simple files sharing
[Recommended].
4. Click OK.
5. Right click the folder. Point to Properties and click it.
6. Click Security. Is Administrators under "Group or user names"?
7. If administrators group does not exist, click Add. Type Administrators in
the blank and click Check Names.
8. If administrators group exists, select it and check the allow check box
behind Full Control.
9. Click OK
10. Try to delete it.

Taimur Mughal [MSFT]

OR if you wish to include a script sample in your post please add "Use of
included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"

"Don J" <dej4400@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've got a folder on my start menu that I can't delete. When I try to
> delete it I get a message that says: "Startup is a Windows system folder
> and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be deleted." The
> name of the folder is not 'Startup'. There is another folder with that
> name. I do a search on the drive that contains Windows XP and can't find
> anything with the same name. What's going on? How do I delete it?
>
> Don J

There is no entry: "Tools > Folder Options > View > Use simple files sharing
[recommended]". I've tried: "Tools > Folder Options > View > Display simple
folder view in Explorer's Folders List". But right clicking the folder and
clicking Properties, there is no entry to click called: "Security".

Don J