Can't delete/uninstall boring windows screensavers.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

How do I get rid of the screensavers that come with Windows XP?
I think they are boring and have no plans to use them. I have a large
collection of screensavers and don't want to have to scroll through the
dull MS screens to get to the one I want.
There is no option to remove them from " add/remove windows components"
They are not listed in add/remove programs. If I delete them they are
instantly re-created.
I even tried renaming them without the file extension .scr, and set them
as read only, hidden. No luck, they are still listed in the screensavers
menu and still run.
I have been using XP since Tuesday. I am using XP Home that came with
slipstreamed with SP 2. I am logged as an administrator.
tia.

Machine messiah wrote:

> There is no option to remove them from " add/remove windows components"
> They are not listed in add/remove programs. If I delete them they are
> instantly re-created.

Hi;

First, please don't crosspost into so many newsgroups. Usually 2 or 3 is
enough to ensure you get the responses you want.

As to the screen savers, you will need to delete or rename them --- in 3
places.

..:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\
..:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\
..:\WINDOWS\system32\

I recommend you delete one set (the 3 files for each) at a time. You will
get a Windows File Protection message when you delete from the \DLLCache
folder. Just click Cancel and then Yes to confirm you really want the
action to take place.

--

....Sky

================

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Delete.scr file under %windir%\system32

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Machine messiah wrote:

> How do I get rid of the screensavers that come with Windows XP?
> I think they are boring and have no plans to use them. I have a large
> collection of screensavers and don't want to have to scroll through the
> dull MS screens to get to the one I want.
> There is no option to remove them from " add/remove windows components"
> They are not listed in add/remove programs. If I delete them they are
> instantly re-created.
> I even tried renaming them without the file extension .scr, and set them
> as read only, hidden. No luck, they are still listed in the screensavers
> menu and still run.
> I have been using XP since Tuesday. I am using XP Home that came with
> slipstreamed with SP 2. I am logged as an administrator.
> tia.

> > Delete.scr file under %windir%\system32

Which part of...

> If I delete them they are instantly re-created.

....did you miss?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi,

First you would need to delete the .scr files from %windir%\system32\dllcache and then delete them
from %windir%\system32. This way they would not be restored by WFP.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Machine messiah" <dustyguy@hydh.org> wrote in message
> How do I get rid of the screensavers that come with Windows XP?
> I think they are boring and have no plans to use them. I have a large
> collection of screensavers and don't want to have to scroll through the
> dull MS screens to get to the one I want.
> There is no option to remove them from " add/remove windows components"
> They are not listed in add/remove programs. If I delete them they are
> instantly re-created.
> I even tried renaming them without the file extension .scr, and set them
> as read only, hidden. No luck, they are still listed in the screensavers
> menu and still run.
> I have been using XP since Tuesday. I am using XP Home that came with
> slipstreamed with SP 2. I am logged as an administrator.
> tia.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In article <uuLbS6IyEHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, ssengupta_@msn.com
says...
> Delete.scr file under %windir%\system32
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> Machine messiah wrote:
>
> > How do I get rid of the screensavers that come with Windows XP?
> > I think they are boring and have no plans to use them. I have a large
> > collection of screensavers and don't want to have to scroll through the
> > dull MS screens to get to the one I want.
> > There is no option to remove them from " add/remove windows components"
> > They are not listed in add/remove programs. If I delete them they are
> > instantly re-created.
> > I even tried renaming them without the file extension .scr, and set them
> > as read only, hidden. No luck, they are still listed in the screensavers
> > menu and still run.
> > I have been using XP since Tuesday. I am using XP Home that came with
> > slipstreamed with SP 2. I am logged as an administrator.
> > tia.

I tried that, it doesn't work. They instantly re-appear. That's why I
tried renaming them w/o a file extension and making them read only /
hidden. That's a Win9x trick to keep annoying folders like "my
pictures" from being recreated. Guess that's not going to work on Xp.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Have one user 'take ownership' of the files.

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
marfers notes for windows xp
> In article <uuLbS6IyEHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, ssengupta_@msn.com
> says...
>> Delete.scr file under %windir%\system32
>>
>> regards,
>> ssg MS-MVP
>>
>> Machine messiah wrote:
>>
>> > How do I get rid of the screensavers that come with Windows XP?
>> > I think they are boring and have no plans to use them. I have a large
>> > collection of screensavers and don't want to have to scroll through the
>> > dull MS screens to get to the one I want.
>> > There is no option to remove them from " add/remove windows components"
>> > They are not listed in add/remove programs. If I delete them they are
>> > instantly re-created.
>> > I even tried renaming them without the file extension .scr, and set
>> > them
>> > as read only, hidden. No luck, they are still listed in the
>> > screensavers
>> > menu and still run.
>> > I have been using XP since Tuesday. I am using XP Home that came with
>> > slipstreamed with SP 2. I am logged as an administrator.
>> > tia.
>>
> I tried that, it doesn't work. They instantly re-appear. That's why I
> tried renaming them w/o a file extension and making them read only /
> hidden. That's a Win9x trick to keep annoying folders like "my
> pictures" from being recreated. Guess that's not going to work on Xp.

In article <eyx$88LyEHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, skyking@mvps.org
says...
> Machine messiah wrote:
>
> > There is no option to remove them from " add/remove windows components"
> > They are not listed in add/remove programs. If I delete them they are
> > instantly re-created.
>
> Hi;
>
> First, please don't crosspost into so many newsgroups. Usually 2 or 3 is
> enough to ensure you get the responses you want.
>
> As to the screen savers, you will need to delete or rename them --- in 3
> places.
>
> .:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\
> .:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\
> .:\WINDOWS\system32\
>
> I recommend you delete one set (the 3 files for each) at a time. You will
> get a Windows File Protection message when you delete from the \DLLCache
> folder. Just click Cancel and then Yes to confirm you really want the
> action to take place.

Got it! Thanks very much.
the files in the dllcache folder were causing the problem.

I usually wouldn't crosspost to so many groups but as I said, I just
installed XP on Tues. and have no idea which group the knowledgeable
folks hang out in.
Thanks again.

Machine messiah wrote:

>> As to the screen savers, you will need to delete or rename them --- in 3
>> places.

> Got it! Thanks very much.

You are certanly welcome. :)

--

....Sky

================

"Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote
| > > Delete.scr file under %windir%\system32
|
| Which part of...
|
| > If I delete them they are instantly re-created.
|
| ...did you miss?

Apparently, ssg MS-MVP missed all of it, including the part
where they are also found in %windir%\system32\dllcache,
from which they should be removed first.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In news:OTa0sRQyEHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
a nonymous <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> did some thinking and came
up with these words:
> "Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote
>>
>> Which part of...
>>
>>> If I delete them they are instantly re-created.
>>
>> ...did you miss?
>

> Apparently, ssg MS-MVP missed all of it, including the part
> where they are also found in %windir%\system32\dllcache,
> from which they should be removed first.

*.scr files aren't saved in the dllcache directory.

--
Ron Bogart {} ô¿ô¬
Associate Expert

Ron Bogart wrote:
>> where they are also found in %windir%\system32\dllcache,
>> from which they should be removed first.
>
> *.scr files aren't saved in the dllcache directory.

Hi, Ron;

Uhm....well, actually, they are. Delete one from System32 and see what
happens in \dllcache. :)

--

....Sky

================

"Sky King" <skyking@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Ron Bogart wrote:
>>> where they are also found in %windir%\system32\dllcache,
>>> from which they should be removed first.
>>
>> *.scr files aren't saved in the dllcache directory.
>
> Hi, Ron;
>
> Uhm....well, actually, they are. Delete one from System32 and see
> what happens in \dllcache. :)

They aren't in dllcache on my machine, WinXP Home, SP2.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:

>> Uhm....well, actually, they are. Delete one from System32 and see
>> what happens in \dllcache. :)
>
> They aren't in dllcache on my machine, WinXP Home, SP2.

Hi, Frank;

Nor in mine by default. I'm running XP Pro SP2, but not sure that would
matter. If I delete one of them from System32, it gets placed in the
dllcache folder (then replaced back into system32). Doesn't that happen on
your XP Home system?

--

....Sky

================

> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:
>>>
>>> Uhm....well, actually, they are. Delete one from System32 and see
>>> what happens in \dllcache. :)
>>
>> They aren't in dllcache on my machine, WinXP Home, SP2.
>
> Hi, Frank;
>
> Nor in mine by default. I'm running XP Pro SP2, but not sure that
> would matter. If I delete one of them from System32, it gets placed
> in the dllcache folder (then replaced back into system32). Doesn't
> that happen on your XP Home system?

Yes, it does.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Tom

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Sky King" <skyking@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> *.scr files aren't saved in the dllcache directory.
>>
>> Hi, Ron;
>>
>> Uhm....well, actually, they are. Delete one from System32 and see
>> what happens in \dllcache. :)
>
> They aren't in dllcache on my machine, WinXP Home, SP2.

They appear in the ddl cache if you delete them from the sys32 folder, and
then replicate themselves back into the sys32 folder.

In news:%23esln7XyEHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Sky King <skyking@mvps.org> did some thinking and came up with these words:
> Ron Bogart wrote:
>>> where they are also found in %windir%\system32\dllcache,
>>> from which they should be removed first.
>>
>> *.scr files aren't saved in the dllcache directory.
>
> Hi, Ron;
>
> Uhm....well, actually, they are. Delete one from System32 and see
> what happens in \dllcache. :)

Thanks - learn something new every day.