Cant detect win10 OS files on docking HD

TroyN

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Hi all,

I have a big problem and i need help ASAP!

My PC case has a HD docking station where i can slide HD in and out into.

Now my problem is that i have an old HD that i installed the win10 OS on, as i went to put my HD into the docking station its not reconizing the files on that HD.

I had a 1TB HD, which i changed to a 250gb SSD. I took my HD out and reinstalled a fresh copy on my 250gb SSD, now i wanted to look for a file on the old HD, so i went and plugged in the old HD into the HD docking slot, but it just comes up blank.

My system is seeing the HD and knows its there, but when i open up the HD its just blank, its like windows 10 is blocking me from seeing the files in there.

I know after talking with my manufacture mobo gigabyte, that they told that MS install their own USB drivers for win10, so i was wondering wouldnt this have anything to do with MS attempting from stopping us to look at another win10 OS HD files?

i can plug in other HD with older OS installed like XP, 7 & 8, but not win10 HD, why is that anyone know?

Solution
the only thing I can think of is perhaps you are missing drivers on the current install to let it see the files. Is that connecting via E sata?

The only other thought is that for some reason your SSD is formatted as MBR and the old HDD is set up as GPT, then Win 10 on the SSD would only see the old hdd as 1 big partition. This seems unlikely to me as if BIOS was set up in UEFI boot mode before, it should have formatted SSD as GPT as well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the only thing I can think of is perhaps you are missing drivers on the current install to let it see the files. Is that connecting via E sata?

The only other thought is that for some reason your SSD is formatted as MBR and the old HDD is set up as GPT, then Win 10 on the SSD would only see the old hdd as 1 big partition. This seems unlikely to me as if BIOS was set up in UEFI boot mode before, it should have formatted SSD as GPT as well.

Solution