Question Can't diagnose issue with the PC I'm building

Jul 24, 2021
Apologies for the long post, but I’m at my wits end at this point with what I’ve tried to build this PC.

I bought mysel;f the MSI Aegis (specific build here) a few weeks back, mostly for the graphics card and a few other parts I didn’t have yet. When I got the computer, I turned it on and tested it out and everything worked well, so I decided to swap out some parts.

I took everything out, put in a new power supply (Corsair Rm850x), motherboard (MSI Z490 gaming plus), swapped out the SATA drive for the WD Black 500 mb SSD, and added in 2 corsair RAM sticks (8 GB each). Booted up, checked the bios, and everything looked fine (minus the fan LED’s lighting up, but I didn’t really care about that).

When I tried to install windows 10, that’s where everything started to go wrong. The computer would get about halfway through installing (the percent would vary), the fans would be getting louder as it went, and then it would suddenly shut itself off. Happened 3 or 4 times.

Last weekend I went in and decided to test which part it could be. I swapped out the RAM, and it still would turn off halfway through. Put in the old power supply and the same thing happened. Tried the SATA drive instead of the m2 SSD sssssss-- the SATA drive already had windows on it, but would still crash after a couple minutes (would usually freeze when I tried to open finder or search something on chrome).

I figured it could be the motherboard since I Couldn’t see anything wrong on the CPU and getting a new one of those would be expensive. I took everything out, put in the old motherboard (MSI MAG B460M Mortar Wi-Fi) and booted it up, except now the keyboard and mouse don’t light up, and no signal is sent to my monitor. I checked the board and the CPU light is off.

Is there anything I’m missing here? Now I’m having two different problems with this computer with two different motherboards, and I just don’t know what it is. I’ve asked around with my tech savvy friends and the best guess is that it is the CPU, but I’m not sure why that would have two different reactions depending on the motherboard.

Any advice y’all can give would be helpful.

Full specs:
Motherboards:MSI MAG B460M Mortar Wi-Fi & MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus
Power Supply: Corsair Rm850x & some non-modular one that came with the original build at 550 Watts
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700F 2.9GHz
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Desktop Gaming Memory & Corsair vengeance 15GB (2 x 8 GB) 3200 Mhz DDr4
SSD: WD Black 500 MB m2

Jul 24, 2021
When you swapped the PSU, did all modular cables (to any SATA drives, mainboard, GPU, etc) get swapped with it? (Mixing/matching can be catastrophic as there are not really and common pinout standards at PSU insertion/ connection side...)
Yup, I used only the cables that came with the new PSU

Jul 24, 2021
what the cpu cooler? you did redo the thermal paste when you change motherboard
My understanding is that to run any game I'd need the gpu, but just to boot up and install windows it wouldn't be necessary -- correct me if I'm wrong on that. I actually am unsure of the cpu cooler -- it came with the prebuilt and worked for that. And yes I redid the thermal paste with the new motherboard.