Can't do anything, lost admin privileges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A6TH

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
Whenever I try to do anything, like install a program, open some files, I get an UAC warning saying: :"To continue, type an administrator password", but there's no textbox where I can type the password and Yes button is disabled. I found a solution on the forum http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2122704/user-account-control-doesnt-enter-password-click-windows-windows.html, but I can't enter Safe mode whatever I try, I never get an option to enter safe mode and I can't use msconfig cause UAC blocked it. What can I do?

Solution
boot of the system recovery and if you can
try opening a cmd prompt with elevated privs.
type
net user administrator /active:yes

and when it activates log out and a new admin account should be available on your login screen.
use that to log in then
to turn your user account back into a user admin account from the accounts manager.

1s done log out and log in to the user account, opent the cmd promt (again elevated)
net user administrator /active:no

to turn off the hidden admin account.

log out again to make sure its gone.
itmoba please dont select best answers for questions you havent asked especially 1s like this.
the mods dont take kindly to it.

please leave best answers to the op or the mods.
as i have had to unselect it. yes it may be the right answer but the op is the 1 to decide it...

A6TH

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

I used a local account and then tried to switch to a live account to use Cortana, but I didn't like it and went back to the local account, when I lost all my admin privileges.

A6TH

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

Yes, that didn't work. I actually came up with an idea now, maybe System Restore will work.

Edit: Can't use System Restore, blocked by UAC :( I'll check and see if there's System Restore option while using a Recovery Windows 10 USB.

boot of the system recovery and if you can
try opening a cmd prompt with elevated privs.
type
net user administrator /active:yes

and when it activates log out and a new admin account should be available on your login screen.
use that to log in then
to turn your user account back into a user admin account from the accounts manager.

1s done log out and log in to the user account, opent the cmd promt (again elevated)
net user administrator /active:no

to turn off the hidden admin account.

log out again to make sure its gone.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS