Can't do clean install on SSD.

LKrieg

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016
I had a 120GB sandisk ultra 2 ssd in my laptor for about 4 months. Then I decided to put it in my pc as my windows boot ssd. The SSD still has my linux OS and files on it.
So while selecting the drive for a clean windows 10 install, I could not select the format option. It sais it is MBR and not GPT.
In my disk manager on my windows 10 on my hdd I cant format it.
Also it doesn't show up as a drive in file explorer.
What do I need to do to be able to do a clean install on my SSD?

Solution
Hey there, LKrieg.

Try a low level format, to see if you'll be to install Windows on it without any issues after you initialize it. Here's how to do it:
1. Open CMD (Command Prompt) as administrator.
2. type in diskpart and press "enter"
3. type in list disk and press "enter", you'll see all the storage devices connected to your computer and you should be able to recognize the drive you wish to format by its size.
4. type in select disk X and press "enter", where X is the number of the drive you wish to format, so make sure that you've selected the correct one - e.g. if the drive you wish to format is disk 1, type "select disk 1"
5. type in clean and press "enter", then wait for the process to finish.

After...
Hey there, LKrieg.

Try a low level format, to see if you'll be to install Windows on it without any issues after you initialize it. Here's how to do it:
1. Open CMD (Command Prompt) as administrator.
2. type in diskpart and press "enter"
3. type in list disk and press "enter", you'll see all the storage devices connected to your computer and you should be able to recognize the drive you wish to format by its size.
4. type in select disk X and press "enter", where X is the number of the drive you wish to format, so make sure that you've selected the correct one - e.g. if the drive you wish to format is disk 1, type "select disk 1"
5. type in clean and press "enter", then wait for the process to finish.

After that follow this guide to initialize the drive: How to initialize or write a signature to a secondary hard drive or Solid State drive in Windows.

When you're done, try installing Windows, to see if it recognizes the SSD and lets you partition and format it.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS