[SOLVED] Can't download driver - not compatible with the system

bthelegend

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
Hey to anyone who can help!

I just built a PC with an RTX 2080, intel i7 9700k.

Problem I'm having at the minute is I can't download a driver for the machine as it keeps saying the system is not compatible...

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

Solution
OKAY... .Wait, first of all how many PCI-E connectors does your GPU actually require, 6 or 8-PIN ? Because from the pic you posted, the 6-PIN SLOT is empty, IF I'm not mistaken

You need to connect ALL the power cables from your PSU. List the EXACT make/model number of your PSU. I think that's why you are not getting any display on the screen.
I presume you are talking about GPU drivers, IF yes, then go through these steps:

First of all, just make sure you are installing the correct driver version, i.e 64-bit if using a 64-bit OS, and not 32-bit.

Are you having a prebuilt OEM system ? Try installing the GAME ready drivers/GRD, and not the Creator version/CRD. Also, there are 2 driver types, DCH and Standard. Which one did you try to install ?

DCH drivers cannot be installed over Standard Drivers, and Standard Drivers cannot be installed over DCH Drivers. The choice must be made after a cleaning via DDU.

To check which display driver type you need, right-click over the Windows desktop -> select NVIDIA Control Panel -> click on the System Information link on the bottom left hand corner of the NVIDIA Control Panel -> look at text that follows “Driver Type”. You should see one of the following : DCH or Standard, assuming you are able to install the drivers.

bthelegend

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
I presume you are talking about GPU drivers, IF yes, then go through these steps:

First of all, just make sure you are installing the correct driver version, i.e 64-bit if using a 64-bit OS, and not 32-bit.

Are you having a prebuilt OEM system ? Try installing the GAME ready drivers/GRD, and not the Creator version/CRD. Also, there are 2 driver types, DCH and Standard. Which one did you try to install ?

DCH drivers cannot be installed over Standard Drivers, and Standard Drivers cannot be installed over DCH Drivers. The choice must be made after a cleaning via DDU.

To check which display driver type you need, right-click over the Windows desktop -> select NVIDIA Control Panel -> click on the System Information link on the bottom left hand corner of the NVIDIA Control Panel -> look at text that follows “Driver Type”. You should see one of the following : DCH or Standard, assuming you are able to install the drivers.

Hi!

I've been trying to download the 64-bit version.
I'm not sure I understand the OEM system question.
I tried to install the standard version.
There is no NVIDIA control panel for me to access to begin with...😢

On a side note, it might be obvious but plugging my cable into the graphics card shows nothing which is correct right?

There is definitely power going into this card... the fans are on and are super loud!

I have the MSI RTX 2070 Super for reference...

Many thanks!

On a side note, it might be obvious but plugging my cable into the graphics card shows nothing which is correct right?

Which cable, MONITOR, or the PSU's PCI-E cable ? ''Shows nothing'' means what exactly ? Is the display totally BLACK ? Can you see the BIOS POST screen, or there is no display/signal at all ??

Which OS do you have ? If you can boot your OS, then what does it say under the DEVICE Manager settings for the GPU ? Plugging the right cable to the GPU should give a display on your Monitor/TV.

What's the make and Model number of your Motherboard ? Do you have the latest BIOS installed on this new system ?

Last edited:

bthelegend

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
If I connect the cable (in my case - HDMI) into the Graphics card nothing shows - No signal.
When I plug into the motherboard, then I can see Bios Post screen.
I have installed windows 10 Pro.
Under the Display adapters it only shows Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630.
I have the MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC.

Just checking now to see if my BIOS is the latest on this system.

bthelegend

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
Which cable, MONITOR, or the PSU's PCI-E cable ? ''Shows nothing'' means what exactly ? Is the display totally BLACK ? Can you see the BIOS POST screen, or there is no display/signal at all ??

Which OS do you have ? If you can boot your OS, then what does it say under the DEVICE Manager settings for the GPU ? Plugging the right cable to the GPU should give a display on your Monitor/TV.

What's the make and Model number of your Motherboard ? Do you have the latest BIOS installed on this new system ?
I have just updated my Bios now too.

So still not working ? I suspect some fault with your GPU. Is this a brand new card ? Because when you said, "If I connect the cable (in my case - HDMI) into the Graphics card nothing shows - No signal. "", this actually gives me some doubt.

What's the make/MODEL number of your PSU ? Try to CLEAR and reset the CMOS/BIOS settings to default values.

EDIT: Have you connected all the PCI-E/PEG power connectors/cables to the GPU, from your PSU ?

Last edited:

bthelegend

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
So still not working ? I suspect some fault with your GPU. Is this a brand new card ? Because when you said, "If I connect the cable (in my case - HDMI) into the Graphics card nothing shows - No signal. "", this actually gives me some doubt.

What's the make/MODEL number of your PSU ? Try to CLEAR and reset the CMOS/BIOS settings to default values.

EDIT: Have you connected all the PCI-E/PEG power connectors/cables to the GPU, from your PSU ?

Here is what it looks like in my PC:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-yaolIWADlrAhX6afDahiVRq9SRWcxR1

My PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80 Plus Gold 650W, Fully Modular.

OKAY... .Wait, first of all how many PCI-E connectors does your GPU actually require, 6 or 8-PIN ? Because from the pic you posted, the 6-PIN SLOT is empty, IF I'm not mistaken

You need to connect ALL the power cables from your PSU. List the EXACT make/model number of your PSU. I think that's why you are not getting any display on the screen.

Last edited:
Solution

bthelegend

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019

You need to connect ALL the power cable from your PSU. List the EXACT make/model number of your PSU. I think that's why you are not getting any display on the screen.
My PSU is evga supernova 650 G3. 80plus gold.
Are you suggesting I need to add a additional power cable from the PSU to the empty 6 pin slot?

bthelegend

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
OKAY...No worries, please take your own time.
Many thanks for your help with me that day. That was my first PC build ever and with your advice I managed to get the GPU working. I did not indeed plug in a ll the power cables to the GPU hence why the computer did not recognise it at all. It is now fully functioning!

Again, thank you for your troubleshooting and help all throughout!

TRENDING THREADS