[SOLVED] Can't download Windows 10 onto SSD for boot drive, just reboots and makes me go through it agian in a loop

clsrunner03

Reputable
Dec 29, 2017
So I recently bought a 500gb nvme m.2 ssd, the Samsung 970 evo and I'm trying to clean install Windows 10 onto it with a USB stick. But after I go through the download process and it reboots, instead of going to cortana, it brings back the install screen. I don't think this counts as a boot loop because I can cancel the install and return to my BIOS settings at any time but I can't install Windows 10 on the SSD.

Now I built the pc 3 years ago and it has a 3TB Toshiba hard drive that is currently the boot drive. I went through the clean install proccess that is pinned on this forum but it's not working for me. I've formatted the SSD, deleted the partions, used the right install media tool, disconnected the hard drive during the install, and even cleared my CMOS by taking out the battery on my motherboard. When I cleared the CMOS the hard drive was connected but I don't know if that matters. I also tried using the original drivers cd with an optical drive but it did the same thing.

My specs are ASUS ROG STRIX B250F Gaming, Zotac mini 1080, 2x8gb crucial 2400hz memory, NZXT H440(case), and the 3tb Toshiba Hard drive.

I appreciate any help. Let me know if you need anymore info, thank you!

Solution
There should be a choice in Boot order called Windows Boot Manager? If so, try making it top choice when you install. Not all motherboards use the windows boot manager so that is why I suggested ssd first.

Windows Boot manager should have a list of all the drives in PC that have a boot partition, so putting it at top is how a GPT drive boots.

I know it should exist as I can find reference to it in searches for same motherboard.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what does the boot order look like?
there shouldn't be anything in it if the nvme is blank
not even the USB

your motherboard has boot override.
put USB in at start up
go to bios
On Boot tab in advanced view, scroll down to boot override and select it
choose the USB from the list, the PC will restart and boot from it once, and then next startup it should boot off the NVME. it will ignore usb, no need to remove it

See page 34 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...IX_B250F-GAMING_BIOS_UM_web_only_20170706.pdf

Reactions: clsrunner03

clsrunner03

Reputable
Dec 29, 2017
I had the voot order so that the USB stick was first and the ssd second. The usb showed up twice as UEFI usb stick and just as a normal usb stick. I tried it with the uefi first and the other usb option second and the ssd third and I also tried it with the normal usb option as the third boot option and disabled it. I think I tried having the ssd first in the boot order too though. I don't know why there are two options for the USB stick.

I'll look for the boot overide option and try it tomorrow but it sounds very similar to what I'm doing.

Also worthing noting, when I get to the screen that allows you to delete partitions it lists 3 options instead of two? One is the 500gb drive but the others are 300mb and a I don't remember the last ones size, it's smaller though. I don't know what they are but I delete all 3 and its creates one 500gb unallocated space. Any ideas there?

Thank you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Put ssd first if that is where you want windows to go.

I guess it includes USB in boot order for people who want to use something other than windows.

the unallocated space is literally empty space. that is how you want it to be. once drive is all unallocated, click next and win 10 will create the partitions it wants
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

boot overrride over rules the boot order,
PC will boot off whatever you choose in here one time
next boot it uses boot order.

So if USB isn't in boot order, it will ignore it at restart and should just boot off windows install and start creating users

Reactions: clsrunner03

clsrunner03

Reputable
Dec 29, 2017
what does the boot order look like?
there shouldn't be anything in it if the nvme is blank
not even the USB

your motherboard has boot override.
put USB in at start up
go to bios
On Boot tab in advanced view, scroll down to boot override and select it
choose the USB from the list, the PC will restart and boot from it once, and then next startup it should boot off the NVME. it will ignore usb, no need to remove it

See page 34 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...IX_B250F-GAMING_BIOS_UM_web_only_20170706.pdf
Put ssd first if that is where you want windows to go.

I guess it includes USB in boot order for people who want to use something other than windows.

the unallocated space is literally empty space. that is how you want it to be. once drive is all unallocated, click next and win 10 will create the partitions it wants
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

boot overrride over rules the boot order,
PC will boot off whatever you choose in here one time
next boot it uses boot order.

So if USB isn't in boot order, it will ignore it at restart and should just boot off windows install and start creating users

It didn't work, just brought me back to the Windows setup page. Here's rhe pictures View: http://imgur.com/gallery/nxV5jsL

Colif

Win 11 Master
There should be a choice in Boot order called Windows Boot Manager? If so, try making it top choice when you install. Not all motherboards use the windows boot manager so that is why I suggested ssd first.

Windows Boot manager should have a list of all the drives in PC that have a boot partition, so putting it at top is how a GPT drive boots.

I know it should exist as I can find reference to it in searches for same motherboard.

Solution