Can't edit music file tags

Zero_fon_Fabre

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
Switched to 10.
All my music was fine, when using WMP.
Figured "Why not check out Groove?".

Found the answer. It ****ed up my music, completely screwing up some of the tags.
I even tried a fresh reinstall, and the issue is somehow still there.
http://puu.sh/ox7Po/24dc06f8c4.jpg

I tried using the system scan on the command prompt.
http://puu.sh/ox7QD/d92d501f62.png

And, this is the CBS file it gave me.
http://puu.sh/ox8Me/5add501f54.log

Edit : I tried using MP3Tag, and it works if I remove the tags, until I edit the artists tag, in which case, the issue comes back.
After looking further into this, it seems that erasing the artists tag in MP3tag makes the tags show up, and correcting said tag makes the tags disappear.

Solution
I use IOBit, which can uninstall them. I know IOBit gets a lot of shit from people, but, I've used it for years, now, and I've never really had an issue with it, personally, and, I think it's a really great Anti-Virus and clean-up program.
what issue? you haven't shown any before/after with what has changed.

if it's just the artist/song information not displaying correctly then it has been overwritten. most media players try to fill in the tag information themselves automatically, and will get it wrong or delete tag info on songs that don't match their database. you almost always have to choose to not retrieve the information online if you have been inputting it in manually or adding it through another program. i doubt Groove even has the option to block downloading artist/album info/art, they really want you tied to online services with anything you use in 10.

i've never been able to stand the newer Windows Media Players since XP. Groove's even worse and being tied into the Store gives it another few minus points.
i suggest using WinAmp.

Zero_fon_Fabre

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
The issue, as said above, is that the tags were perfectly fine, until I tried using Groove for the first time, which somehow screwed up the tags.
Now, if I try to edit the tags with anything, to fix them, it works fine, unless I try editing the (contributing) artist tag, in which case, the tags completely disappear again.

It seems to be an issue with the artist tag, for some reason. What's even weirder is that some tags are completely fine, with no issue at all. It only seems to be with certain files, as seen with the puush pic attached to the original post.

"Tag has been overwritten"? As said three times already, that's not the issue... If that was the issue, it would've been fixed already, by me editing them, which I've tried time and time again, to no avail...

You sound like you're implying/assuming that I'm just some idiot who can't figure out simple issues like that...

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
O.K. Some of the tagging software doesn't work well with some files. Some only work with mp.3 files. I modified some 15,000 files, (mp.3, .flac, wav 2 channel and multi channel etc,), with good success using Tag & Rename and DB Power amp. Took me some off and on 6 months, a LOT of hours. If music playback is your concern Foobar 2000 is it. It takes a little learning but is well worth it and is priced perfectly, free. Some players don't recognize all tagging. You have to like an orderly file system for your music. It takes a bit of learning and playing to get things just the way you like. Make sure you have at least one back up of your audio files because things happen.
W.P.

the tags will be overwritten again every time you play them or even when certain media players scan them, which is more than likely what is happening now. Groove is going to try and keep an updated record of your music so it will continue to scan any linked directories or directories that have been previously played from. so it doesn't matter how many times you fix them, it would continue to happen.

what has worked with my audio files meta info is adding it all in and saving the file as "read only". my TV used to try and write in audio information to mp3 tracks when wi-fi was enabled and setting files to read only stopped it from happening. then i noticed an option to stop retrieving artist/album info and it also was a solution.

--
if you're concerned about the sfc errors not being able to be fixed you will need to run the Windows installer again to fix the Store & Apps. Windows Media Creation Tool

running install from within Windows > choosing upgrade > choosing to "keep existing files & settings" will not change your existing programs or OS settings. will only repair OS shell, Store, etc. worst case has been some Apps were removed from the Start Screen and had to be pinned again.

Zero_fon_Fabre

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
@TbsToy - I've used MP3Tag for the discographies of about 200 bands, now. It seems to have worked well, until now, which is weird. As far as I know, it's not a new version from what I was using before, but, I could be wrong.

@JohnBonhamsGhost - First, sorry for going off on you like that. The way I read your first reply, it came across as more thinking I'm an idiot. Most likely my own fault.
As for your second reply, thanks. I was not aware of all that. Basically, what I'm hearing is that I need to make sure to turn off the option for WMP and Groove (If I ever do decide to use it again, after all this... All this has ruined my opinion of it. I do still think it sounds really good, at least) over-writing the metadata? I believe I already have for WMP, but, I'll check. I didn't have it turned off for Groove.
However, I'm still not sure if that's what the issue is. Most songs seem to work completely fine with tag editing. It's only a select few songs that have the issue with the artist tag erasing all the other tags for the songs.

Also, after messing around some more, I found that if I go into the file's details through the right-click menu, and edit the artist tag there, it works fine for all songs, but, then, when I try that with the MP3Tag program, that's when the issue occurs.
I'm still very confused with this issue, but, it seems that I have, at least, found a work-around for the issue. It's just going to be annoying to do it this way, but, that's more of a personal problem.

While we're on the topic of the Windows apps, is there any reason I shouldn't delete the ones that I have no use for, such as the Xbox, News, Weather, etc. apps? I've left them alone so far, but, if I can get rid of them with no issues, I will, even if it's just for only a bit more free space on my hard drive.

some of those Apps are tied in together like Calendar, Mail, and a few other MS Apps. but if you dont use any of them it shouldn't cause any problems.

if you're using the powershell or cmd prompts for removing Store Apps it should work but almost none of the Apps built-in "uninstall" option actually work. Zune, Skype, and most of the MS Apps will remain behind, they are just unregistered from your account.

Zero_fon_Fabre

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
I use IOBit, which can uninstall them. I know IOBit gets a lot of shit from people, but, I've used it for years, now, and I've never really had an issue with it, personally, and, I think it's a really great Anti-Virus and clean-up program.

Solution