Can't enable XMP and increase RAM frequency manually!

Jun 2, 2018
I am having trouble running my RAM at advertised speed by the manufacturer that is @3200MHz. I enabled XMP and tried to boot the computer but it won't boot at all. The screen goes full black. Then I manually chose 3200MHz and set voltage and other things to auto and tried to boot but same problem. I was able to boot again after clearing CMOS on both occassion. What could be the problem? Please provide me suggestions.

My Specifications:
Mobo - MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC
RAM - ADATA XPG D40 16GB DDR4 (Single Stick)
CPU - Ryzen 2700X
GPU - GTX 1080 Ti
PSU - CM V750W

Please help fast. Thanks in advance.

Solution

exroofer

Distinguished
16 GB single stick is dual rank ram I believe?
Pretty sure it is fussier about hitting higher speeds.
Do you have an option to increase the ram boot voltage?
Not the ram voltage, but what it boots at.
Not all bioses support this.

And will it boot at 3000 ish/2933?
Is that ram on the MSI website on the QVL list?
I guess the plan is to go to 2 x 16 Gb in the future?
Because running single channel memory, even at 3200, will definitely hurt performance.

Jun 2, 2018

Should I update BIOS? And also how should i determine about what timings, voltage and speed to enter. And the reason I am trying to run at higher frequency is just to check if my GPU usage will increase as well cause it sits at 45-65% most of the time while gaming.

Yes you can update bios. If you're at 1080p resolution that is most of why you have low GPU usage. GTX 1080 Ti is best for 1440p or higher resolutions.

Also, as mentioned before you should be running two sticks of RAM in dual-channel. That makes a difference especially on high-end systems.

Jun 2, 2018

Yeah, I will be upgrading the RAM later. But for now I should be getting 5-10 FPS low than I would get on dual channel memory right? Could that be the reason for low GPU usage too?

Jun 2, 2018

The RAM is installed on the second slot.

Jun 2, 2018

Should I try DSR on games and check my GPU usage? Also how much FPS difference can i expect in games between single channel and dual channel memory? Like 5-10 FPS right?

Using DSR to increase GPU usage won't get you higher framerate, it just might make the game look better while not lowering performance (if you find the right balance).

I can't say for sure how much dual-channel will increase your framerate. You'd just have to find out and see.

Solution
Jun 2, 2018

Thanks for your help. I will update BIOS and try to fix my RAM later on. But I was using DSR 4K on Far Cry 5 at ultra settings and was able to hit 60-65FPS and GPU usage was 88-99%. So, I probably think low GPU usage is due to the 1080p resolution and also single channel RAM being a supportive factor. But once I scaled to 4K, all problem was solved and my benchmarks matched those tested on youtube and internet. I will update later on if I could make any difference with RAM speeds.