[SOLVED] Can't enable XMP on AsRock Motherboard

MattRBX

Prominent
Oct 1, 2019
so when i go into the memory tab in my bios there is no way to enable XMP

when i look at youtube people have this selectbox thing where they can then select XMP instead of automatic i dont have that and the max i can run at is 2666 mhz

RAM : HyperX DDR4-3200mhz 16GB
MB: AsRock b365m-hdv

Reactions: matmcnic
Solution
The B-series chipset on your motherboard doesn't support RAM overclocking / XMP profiles with frequicues above the maximum RAM frequency natively supported by the CPU's integrated memory controller (IMC) - which in your case is likely 2666MHz
(Intel 9th Gen i5 or higher supports 2666MHz RAM - the 9th Gen i3 only supports 2400MHz RAM).

Only Intel Z-series motherboards support RAM overclocking / XMP profiles with higher frequencies than the CPU's IMC natively supports.

The maximum RAM frequency you'll be able to achieve with your current motherboard is 2666MHz... -if you want to use the full frequency of your 3200MHz RAM, you'll need a different motherboard with a Z-series chipsset - for example Z390. When it comes to the actual...
The B-series chipset on your motherboard doesn't support RAM overclocking / XMP profiles with frequicues above the maximum RAM frequency natively supported by the CPU's integrated memory controller (IMC) - which in your case is likely 2666MHz
(Intel 9th Gen i5 or higher supports 2666MHz RAM - the 9th Gen i3 only supports 2400MHz RAM).

Only Intel Z-series motherboards support RAM overclocking / XMP profiles with higher frequencies than the CPU's IMC natively supports.

The maximum RAM frequency you'll be able to achieve with your current motherboard is 2666MHz... -if you want to use the full frequency of your 3200MHz RAM, you'll need a different motherboard with a Z-series chipsset - for example Z390. When it comes to the actual difference in performance, upgrading the motherboard just to use the full frequency of your RAM, isn't woth it when it comes to price / performance.

Last edited:
Solution

when i look at youtube people have this selectbox thing where they can then select XMP instead of automatic i dont have that and the max i can run at is 2666 mhz

If you look at the QVL for your board, the highest speed you'll see that's supported anywhere on the list is 2666.
QVL

If the xmp option is not in the bios, you will have to run at 2666.
That is not all bad since intel real app performance does not depend much on ram speeds.
Here is an older study looking at the benefits of 3000 ddr4 on performance.
Unless you are using integrated graphics, performance differences are almost negligible.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Your board is limited to 2666 their no way to make it faster.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/B365M-HDV/index.asp

TRENDING THREADS