Question cant enough memory

grego62

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I am playing FO4 on a Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3-r5. I have 16 gigs of memory(4 times 4GB) and the game maxes the memory out and crashes. I want to buy some 8 GB sticks but cannot find anything but server memory that has no heatsinks installed. Does anyone know if I should/can install a couple of sticks of 8GB memory alongside a couple of sticks of different timing 4GB memory?

I am playing FO4 on a Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3-r5. I have 16 gigs of memory(4 times 4GB) and the game maxes the memory out and crashes.

How are you coming to the conclusion that your game is using all 16GB and then crashing? FO4 should NOT use 16GBs of RAM.

Performance is dependent on ALL your hardware, not just one piece. List your full system specs, please. Also, since your system is crashing, run some stability tests (Prime95 small FFT, Memtest86, and Furmark or Unigine's Valley, looping, for 30+ mins).

grego62

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Thanks for answering this. I was away from my computer for quite a while and since then have installed an ASRock motherboard AM4 motherboard. The only thing I remember about the 990fxa is that I had an AMD FX-8350 as the CPU.