Question Can't enter bios, only black screen

Jul 15, 2020
Hello!

I have an ASUS Prime X370-Pro motherboard with a Ryzen 5 3600X.

I want to go to the bios settings but it's shows only a black screen.

I tried to reset cmos by battery or shorting the proper pins on the mobo ofc.

My XMP profiles were removed after the cmos reset as I can tell about cpu-z or task manager but my cpu's clock don't want to reset to base 3.80ghz from 4.20ghz so I guess I couldn't reset the cmos correctly and fully?

I still get the black screen instead of the bios setup but I can boot up from any device with f8(boot menu) which is working properly.

I also tried to take out the cmos battery, disconnect the power from the pc and leave it for a whole night then short the pins... AMI screen shows up as earlier but still... my cpu overclock remains and bios is produces black image.

I tried to reset bios with CMOS De-Animator 3 works without any error but my cpu clock remained 4.20ghz and bios is still black.

Any idea how to reset cmos correctly? I did everything what manual and online tutorials contained about this.

One of my friends told me maybe I have a bios virus and I should flash the bios... but without bios how can I flash on this board? Asus does not provide any bootable bios flash tool as I can see...

raykneale

Honorable
Oct 5, 2017
Hello!

I have an ASUS Prime X370-Pro motherboard with a Ryzen 5 3600X.

I want to go to the bios settings but it's shows only a black screen.

I tried to reset cmos by battery or shorting the proper pins on the mobo ofc.

My XMP profiles were removed after the cmos reset as I can tell about cpu-z or task manager but my cpu's clock don't want to reset to base 3.80ghz from 4.20ghz so I guess I couldn't reset the cmos correctly and fully?

I still get the black screen instead of the bios setup but I can boot up from any device with f8(boot menu) which is working properly.

I also tried to take out the cmos battery, disconnect the power from the pc and leave it for a whole night then short the pins... AMI screen shows up as earlier but still... my cpu overclock remains and bios is produces black image.

I tried to reset bios with CMOS De-Animator 3 works without any error but my cpu clock remained 4.20ghz and bios is still black.

Any idea how to reset cmos correctly? I did everything what manual and online tutorials contained about this.

One of my friends told me maybe I have a bios virus and I should flash the bios... but without bios how can I flash on this board? Asus does not provide any bootable bios flash tool as I can see...
Hello
You should be able to enter your BIOS from inside Windows.
Settings
Update and Security
Recovery in the left pane
Advanced start up .tap restart now and wait for PC to restart,it should boot into the recovery
If I remember correctly in the troubleshooting section you will find another section which allows you to restart into UEFI without doing anything else ,also this may be dependent on your version of Windows,mine is win 10 Pro
Hope this helps
Regards

Jul 15, 2020
Thanks for ur answer. When u wrote that answer I was flashing a new bios to the bios chip. Now it's works.

The method u mentioned not worked anyway, I already tried it.

Seems like my bios chip's firmware was partially corrupted somehow.