Can't enter regedit after trying to change default installation path

Slammercow

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
I just bought a new laptop with an SSD and a 1TB harddrive - I wanted to change the default installation path from the SSD, to the harddrive and found this link to do it: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1792156/secondary-harddrive-question.html

So i followed the instructions from the thread:
"Open regedit (Start > Run > "regedit"). Then find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion". Now look in the right pane. Change "ProgramFilesDir", "ProgramFilesPath", "ProgramW6432Dir" and "ProgramFilesDir (x86)". If your secondary drive letter is D:\, then change them to "D:\Program Files", "D:\Program Files", "D:\Program Files" and "D:\Program Files (x86)", in that order that I just mentionned."

But now i can't install or uninstall programs, I can't open regedit to revert the changes, and the backup I made (also by following the thread) doesn't work! I can't even open up Task Manager... When i try using "run" and typing in "regedit", an error pops up saying: "Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." I cannot use "run" as an administrator either.
How can i reverse what i did? Help is very much appreciated.

Solution
i just remembered a way that works for windows 8 and 10.

when in windows click on start then click on power and then hold the shift key down and while holding the shift key left click on restart. this will restart to a blue screen with several options. click on the troubleshoot option and then you should find an option called "reset this PC.

this option will reset windows but im not sure if it will use the ASUS recovery
Hello... Once your up and running again... You need to create D:\Program Files" and "D:\Program Files (x86) D:\Documents D:\?" folders yourself and use "CUSTOM" install with the APP/Program to direct the install there... the Program and Windows will auto set the Startup files/info from these locations.
Also go into the program "preferences" to set IN program storing directories/folders. i.e. D:\Documents

Slammercow

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

I tried that, but when i go into the windows 10 restore, it has 3 options - but when i try either of them, it seems like an invisible window opens, and i just hear the standard windows sound when i click anywhere on the screen.

did you try to do the recovery from within windows or during startup?

Slammercow

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

From within windows, how do i do it during startup?

that depends on what kind of laptop it is. i have a lenovo laptop and it has a small button beside the power button that get me into recovery. other would get you to press something like the F10 or F12 key when you first start up the laptop

Slammercow

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

It's an ASUS, as far as I can google, I should press F9, but nothing happens.

Hello... You have to be really fast, to beat the WINDOWS startup files, and got to keep pushing that "F key"... go into your BIO's and disable "fast boot" and enable 'BIO's/MB boot screen, if you have the options (save&exit)... this can give you more time to "F KEY" the OS.

Hi
Look into remote registry editing
You may need to remove the hard disk and put it in another windows pc
Or use a bootable linux or windows PE disk

Then edit the windows registry to undo the changes you made
Then return drive to your laptop and hope it works again

Universal boot cd 4 windows project is based on xp so may not boot up off modern pc hardware

I cant give name of linux product as its main use is resetting windows passwords but can also edit the registry

Regards
Mike Barnes

Hello... Yes, You pointed the important directories, the startup files needs, to a NON-Working Folder/directory... You had the right intentions, but wrong way for your needs. B /
I have killed a lot of OS's learning my way around... and that's when you learn about recovery methods and tools... and Starting Over. B )

1) How Big is your OS drive?
2) And used space?
3) Do you have important data on the C:\ that cannot be deleted or lost?

Slammercow

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

The OS drive is 118GB (SSD) with 65GB used - and i don't have any important files on it

Hello... Since "No important"... now is a good time to practice OS install methods, driver installs, and setup... B )
1) I recommend you removing you D:\ drive when doing this... as not affecting/effecting any files on it... it can be added at later time when your OS is all happy and good.
2) Also pre DL all your hardware/chipset drivers from the laptop website to a USB stick too.
3) Do a "clean install" delete all previous 'partitions" on the C:\drive. Youtube instructions for your OS.
4) OR follow the recommended " Recovery" procedures from your laptop website.
5) Your Recovery OS files could be on your D:\ drive... plug it into another working computer and look there for a directory.

Do you have recovery disks with your lappy? all New boxed computers have a Notice for the OWNER to make recovery media before use... most (all?) people ignore this. You can DL the OS from Microsoft or you can order a set for your Laptop, from the maker $20?

Do you have the product key for Windows that was installed on the laptop when you bought it? It should be somewhere on the laptop, or maybe under the battery.

If so you should be able to download the exact same version of Windows from Microsoft and install it using your product key.

i just remembered a way that works for windows 8 and 10.

when in windows click on start then click on power and then hold the shift key down and while holding the shift key left click on restart. this will restart to a blue screen with several options. click on the troubleshoot option and then you should find an option called "reset this PC.

this option will reset windows but im not sure if it will use the ASUS recovery

Solution

Slammercow

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

I'm sure I can get a hold of the CD-key, but the problem seems to be how to install it afterwards since I'm not able to go into bios.

Slammercow

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

The shift click + pressing restart put the laptop into recovery, so i could reset everything! Thanks for the solution! :)