[SOLVED] Can't exceed 100Mbps ?

Jonatron5

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
so today I upgraded to a 500Mbps down/500 Mbps Upload,

but no matter what I do I'cant get my pc to recieve these speeds from the router

the router's diagnostics are reporting the correct speeds, but when I go to ookla and test my pc speeds I'm getting stuck at 100

my router is a :NVG468MQ,
I am transmitting over a LAN connection using a cat-5e cable,

my motherboard is a: MSI mpg z390 with a max LAN speed of 10/100/1000MbPS

I just downloaded and installed the latest LAN drivers for the motherboard and restarted to no effect.

I thought it might be a setting on the router, so I logged into and checked the port that I'm connecting to and the speed/duplexsection is reporting "100/full" when on automatic,

I tried changed this to '1g half duplex' and '1g full duplex' in both settings my network connection fails, and my PC tells me it does not detect a plugged in ethernet line

Solution
cat5e will do 1gbit when it runs 350mhz, cheapo 100mhz cable will max out 350mbps
cable should have some cetificate on it (UL id guess)
tho u also may have broken pair
eitherway get cat6 to be safe
I thought it might be a setting on the router, so I logged into and checked the port that I'm connecting to and the speed/duplexsection is reporting "100/full" when on automatic,

I tried changed this to '1g half duplex' and '1g full duplex' in both settings my network connection fails, and my PC tells me it does not detect a plugged in ethernet line
The ports on both ends of that cable auto-negotiates (the precise terminology) the fastest speed it can handle, so is telling you it can't go beyond 100 mbit. So why? is usually what is in between, old wall wirings, fake (yes they are out there) CAT cables. Experienced people know how to look but u don't so all I can suggest is, get another cable from a local store, one of those Belkin, I don't think they sell fakes. No need to buy the most expensive kind, any ole CAT5e, which is widely available will do.

To find out for sure, insert a switch in between, the LEDs will tell you right away. Also make sure WAN port is also 1000.
That's how I found out my cables weren't 1000. I had some that were and some that weren't. I had just upgraded my switch to a 1000Mbps one to transfer large game files between PCs. I saw the LEDs were not showing full 1000Mbps connection. Swapped the cable and it switched to 1000Mbps.