[SOLVED] Can't expand to unallocated partion

Jan 16, 2020
I cloned my existing SSD boot drive to a new, larger SSD but it cloned with a new unallocated partition made up of all the extra space. I've tried to expand to this partitition but I am unable to, presumably because they are not contiguous (??). The whole point of doing this was so my boot drive would be larger. So, my questions are:
  1. is there a way to expand to the existing extra space partition without paying for another cloning software?
  2. can i just make a new clone over top of the old clone and try to delete partitions?
  3. is there some other way to make this work?
Thanks!!

Solution
Yes, you needed to configure the clone to account for the additional size. Hopefully you did not tamper with the existing drive's installation so that you can try it again.

What are you using to do the clone?

Also, if you are inclined, you can likely use Gparted to expand the volume to incorporate all the unallocated space, and that would likely take less time but it's a few extra steps as you'll need to create bootable USB media and it can be a little bit complicated for some people. Likely though, if you can clone a drive, you can do that.
Yes, you needed to configure the clone to account for the additional size. Hopefully you did not tamper with the existing drive's installation so that you can try it again.

What are you using to do the clone?

Also, if you are inclined, you can likely use Gparted to expand the volume to incorporate all the unallocated space, and that would likely take less time but it's a few extra steps as you'll need to create bootable USB media and it can be a little bit complicated for some people. Likely though, if you can clone a drive, you can do that.

Solution