Can't Export Address Book

I can't export then import the Outlook Express address book from one
computer to another. Both computers have XP Home.
The proceedure I followed:
1. Went to Outlook express and selected File/Export/Address Book. An
Address Book Export Tool window comes up with message, " Select the program
or file type to export your address book to". The only file shown is, Text
File(Comma Separated Values). This permits the address book to be exported
as a .csv file. When I try to import the address book into the second
computer, the computer asks for a file with a .wab extension and doesnt
recognize the .csv file.
What is wrong?

--
Joseph Childs (jchilds1@nycap.rr.com)
All messages are scanned for viruses before being sent

I'm assuming that the two machines are *not* connect in any way. Like a
network or a Direct Cable Connection. Copy your Windows Address Book to a
floppy.

Do a Search for *.wab
* is a wild card and will locate all wab files on your machine.
wab is the file extension for all Windows Address Books.
Mine is Wesley P_ Vogel.wab

Or Open Windows Address Book | Click Help | About Address Book |
Copy the path and paste it into the Start | Run box | Click OK

Typically located here >>
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Application Data\Microsoft\Address
Book\SomeName.wab

Once your WAB is located right click it and select: Send To |
3½" Floppy (A:) Make sure there's a disk in the floppy drive.

Stick the disk you copied the *.wab to in the XP machine's floppy drive and
copy it to:
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Application Data\
Microsoft\Address Book

To open the floppy disk...
Start | Run | Type: a: | OK |
Right click your *.wab file and select: Copy

This will open the proper folder...
Start | Run | Type or paste the following:

%homedrive%%homepath%\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

Click OK or hit the ENTER key.

Right click the right hand pane and select: Paste

You should now see your *.wab file.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23H0UbTdIFHA.2956@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Joseph Childs <jchilds1@nycap.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
> I can't export then import the Outlook Express address book from one
> computer to another. Both computers have XP Home.
> The proceedure I followed:
> 1. Went to Outlook express and selected File/Export/Address Book.
> An Address Book Export Tool window comes up with message, " Select
> the program or file type to export your address book to". The only
> file shown is, Text File(Comma Separated Values). This permits the
> address book to be exported as a .csv file. When I try to import the
> address book into the second computer, the computer asks for a file
> with a .wab extension and doesnt recognize the .csv file.
> What is wrong?
>
> --
> Joseph Childs (jchilds1@nycap.rr.com)
> All messages are scanned for viruses before being sent

I found that if I go to Outlook express and then to Addresses which opens
the address book listing and from there got File/Export/Address Book(WAB),
this allows me to create the .wab file and define its location. However,
after I did that, when I attempted to import the file into the other machine
an error message appeared: "An error occured during the import process. The
import process could not be completed." Now what?

--
Joseph Childs (jchilds1@nycap.rr.com)
All messages are scanned for viruses before being sent

Joseph,

Copy your Windows Address Book to a floppy as a *.wab file.

In my opinion, a *.csv file is worthless.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eIJcMgfIFHA.2984@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,

"Joseph Childs" <jchilds1@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> I can't export then import the Outlook Express address book from one
> computer to another. Both computers have XP Home.
> The proceedure I followed:
> 1. Went to Outlook express and selected File/Export/Address Book. An
> Address Book Export Tool window comes up with message, " Select the
> program
> or file type to export your address book to". The only file shown is, Text
> File(Comma Separated Values). This permits the address book to be exported
> as a .csv file. When I try to import the address book into the second
> computer, the computer asks for a file with a .wab extension and doesnt
> recognize the .csv file.
> What is wrong?

When importing choose Other Address Book and then Text (Comma Separated
Values).

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Frank Saunders,
Your suggestion your sugestion to choose Other Address Book and then
Text(Comma Separated Variables) worked and solved all of my problems. I do
want to thank all the others for their helpful suggestions.