[SOLVED] Can't extend C drive

Dec 27, 2018
I have a SSD for my C drive and have partitioned it so I can just have my operating system on that and everything else on another drive. However, that is nearly full and when I go to extend it it doesn't let me even though I have 200+ gb free on my other partition. I have tried using mini partition wizard but that doesn't let me do it either. Any way I can extend it without having to wipe it? Thanks for any help.

Solution

Games and launchers, which have shortcuts leading to locations on "the A drive".

What needs to happen is you copy everything from the A partition to somewhere else.
Then, you merge the C partition and the A partition.
Due to the location of these partitions, you'd have to use a 3rd party tool like Minitool Partition Wizard.
This results in that 500GB drive being one big space.

But, then all your shortcuts and references to the A partition are broken.
free space should be available behind your system drive (sys partition 1, free space, partiton 2+), if there is another partition before that free space (sys part 1, partition2, free space), then u will need to move your non system partition(s) to right side, so that free space will be behind sys drive

free space is kinda missing in that immage, but lets suppose u get it from SSD ( A: ), it will be maddde at end of drive, so u will need to move A: to right side, to make free space before it, then do same for efi drive, and same will go for restore partition

btw do u know about usage of A: and B: drive letters? am no saing its impossible to use them, but windows wont threat them same way as C or any other drive letter

Dec 27, 2018

how do I move things over? do i need to use a different program to disk management?

USAFRet

Titan
1. Don't use A & B for drive letters.
Yes, it will let you do it. But those are legacy drive letters, and WIndows treats them differently.
https://www.howtogeek.com/122891/what-are-the-windows-a-and-b-drives-used-for/
https://superuser.com/questions/231273/what-are-the-windows-a-and-b-drives-used-for

2. For your actual issue:
This stems from having only ~65GB for the OS partition. As you've seen, this runs out quickly.

What, exactly, is in the A partition? Fixing this may be rather complex.

Dec 27, 2018

the A partition just has games and game launchers on it.

USAFRet

Titan

Games and launchers, which have shortcuts leading to locations on "the A drive".

What needs to happen is you copy everything from the A partition to somewhere else.
Then, you merge the C partition and the A partition.
Due to the location of these partitions, you'd have to use a 3rd party tool like Minitool Partition Wizard.
This results in that 500GB drive being one big space.

But, then all your shortcuts and references to the A partition are broken.

Solution