[SOLVED] Cant figure out how many watts I have left available (help is much appreciated)

Jul 9, 2020
Fairly new to this community and semi-new to gaming pc’s and such. The issue im facing is, I dont know how many watts I have left available. Im trying to upgrade some hardware in my machine and cant seem to figure out if I indeed can.
Specs-
Hard drives:
500GB
2TB
Motherboard:
ATX STRIX
CPU:
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with graphics
RAM-
2 8GB (DDR4) (16GB total)
Power supply is 500
Graphics card-
Radeon RX 580 Series
Fans-
3 (1 Single one and 2 fan combo)
Also have a wifi adapter card in
I tried using the sites to calculate my watts but it didnt have the options I have in my pc

Solution
If you're so close on wattage that you have to count, you need to replace the power supply. The graphic card manufacturer will give you a recommendation of power supply wattage for an entire system based on the graphics card.

For instance, the Radeon RX 580 has a 500 watt recommendation. These estimates are bloated to an extent (they can't have anyone coming back saying, "Your web site said this!" and it wasn't enough, so your current 500 watt unit (in theory) is more than enough for your current system.

If your intent is to upgrade the graphics card to something requiring more power, then look for the recommendation on the NVidia/AMD web site. If you're close (recommended 550 watts and you have 500 watts), you're probably ok.

-Wolf...

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you're so close on wattage that you have to count, you need to replace the power supply. The graphic card manufacturer will give you a recommendation of power supply wattage for an entire system based on the graphics card.

For instance, the Radeon RX 580 has a 500 watt recommendation. These estimates are bloated to an extent (they can't have anyone coming back saying, "Your web site said this!" and it wasn't enough, so your current 500 watt unit (in theory) is more than enough for your current system.

If your intent is to upgrade the graphics card to something requiring more power, then look for the recommendation on the NVidia/AMD web site. If you're close (recommended 550 watts and you have 500 watts), you're probably ok.

-Wolf sends

Edit: AMD Radeon RX 580 - Specifications Page

Reactions: MaskedVillian1312
Solution
Jul 9, 2020

-Wolf sends

Edit: AMD Radeon RX 580 - Specifications Page
Like I previously stated, im semi-new to gaming pcs and ect. I wanted to upgrade my cpu to a ryzen 7 3700x but my issue was not knowing if I had enough power enough for that or if it would require more than my current cpu.

Wolfshadw

Titan
No worries.

The Ryzen 3 2200G and the Ryzen 7 3700X are both 65 watt processors. The 3700X will likely average a higher power usage than the 2200G, but it won't (or shouldn't) exceed 65 watts. If your current power supply can support your current processor, it can support your newer processor.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: MaskedVillian1312
Jul 9, 2020
No worries.

The Ryzen 3 2200G and the Ryzen 7 3700X are both 65 watt processors. The 3700X will likely average a higher power usage than the 2200G, but it won't (or shouldn't) exceed 65 watts. If your current power supply can support your current processor, it can support your newer processor.

-Wolf sends
Thanks for taking the time to help me with my issue Wolf. I greatly appreciate it. Have a great day

Reactions: Wolfshadw