Can't figure out how to boot from cloned SSD.

Fatcowray

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
I recently put a new Kingston predator 240gb ssd into my Asus G501VW laptop to run windows from. I used Aomei Backupper Standard to clone each partition from my 1 tb hdd to the new ssd which ended up working even though all the other software I tried (like easeus cloning software) didn't work due to the inconsistent sector size.

After I did the cloning I went into bios and changed the boot priority. The 3 options available were something like 1. Windows Boot Manager (ssd name) 2. Windows Boot Manager (hdd name) 3. hdd name by itself.

The computer still boots from the hard drive though, I was told to try disconnecting the hard drive but since its in the laptop I didn't want to physically remove it so I tried uninstalling it from device manager which did nothing. I also tried setting the 2 options in bios besides the ssd to disabled which also did nothing.

I am basically lost and not really sure how to proceed in trying to get the laptop to boot from my ssd. I don't have any files on the laptop that are important and am willing to try almost anything to just be able to use windows from the ssd since the 5400 rpm hard drive is super slow.

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Solution

You should always install windows with only your primary disk installed. After that, you can put the old disk in (make sure to pick the ssd in the boot menu!) and then remove the additional boot partitions and windows install from that old disk (just in case)

ikaz

Distinguished
So wait you had no problem installing your new hard drive but you take issue with removing the old one ? You can always clean install as suggested or you can remove the old hard drive make sure the new HD works and wipe the old drive.

Fatcowray

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016

Since the laptop came preinstalled with windows is there a way to do a clean install on another drive without buying another copy of windows? That seems like a stupid question but i dunno.

You can use your old license just fine, if it's Win 10 just follow the instructions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 , for Win 8 you have http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media. In the case of Win 7 you'll need your original install media. In all cases you should have no issues activating after reinstalling

Fatcowray

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016

I guess I will have to try that tommorrow if I don't find another solution. Besides time and effort one reason I didn't want to open up the laptop again is because you have to remove the rubber feet which lessens the effectiveness of the adhesive and is overall a pain, but hopefully it will be worth it..

Fatcowray

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016

Alright thank you for the help and quick response I will try a clean install in the morning.

Fatcowray

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016

I originally wanted to do that but when I went into bios I didn't see any place I could disable it in any of the menus. Is there some other setting I need to disable to access that? or am I just missing something?

Very few bios actually allow that option since it's pointless for 99% of devices. You'll have to physically remove the disk

Fatcowray

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016

Unless you just mean setting its place in the boot order to "disabled" which didn't seem to do anything

Fatcowray

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016

So i need to remove the disk then boot from the ssd then can I just put the hard drive back in and wipe it or do I need to wipe in externally before putting it back in?

Fatcowray

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016

If its not in my bios is there really no way to disable my hard drive without physically disconnecting it? because its a bit tedious

You should always install windows with only your primary disk installed. After that, you can put the old disk in (make sure to pick the ssd in the boot menu!) and then remove the additional boot partitions and windows install from that old disk (just in case)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS