Question Can't figure out how to control my chassis fans

sugarskull

Commendable
Jul 23, 2019
I got asus asus p8h77-m pro mobo, NZXT H500 case and 2 exhaust fans, 1 intake and CPU fan.
CPU temperatures 40-58C (idle) and 65-78C (when gaming).
According to HWMonitor my SYSFANIN is running 1100rpm (idle), CPU fan 1600rpm (idle), AUXFANIN0 1200rpm (idle) and AUXFANIN1 2100rpm (idle).
The noise is awful how could I reduce the speeds of the chassis fans.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
When in BIOS, select "Exit/Advanced Menu" and then "Advanced Menu" to get into advanced menu. Once there, dig out the holy bible of PCs (aka MoBo manual), blow the dust off from it and read chapter 3.6 Monitor Menu on pages 3-24, 3-25 and 3-26 to learn how to control your fans. Hint: you need to enable Q-Fan Control.

Jan 22, 2019
what's your pc mainly used for? gaming? well if your fans are too loud you can only controller them from bios, DO NOT USE THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE its just harmful, so when your pc boots up press the delete key or whatever key your bios needs to be opened with (describes it on startup screen) and from there you go to smart fan settings (if you have a gigabyte motherboard) and you choose to set them on silent its simple but it may cause overheating if your pc needs to do heavy work like gaming

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
what's your pc mainly used for? gaming? well if your fans are too loud you can only controller them from bios, DO NOT USE THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE its just harmful, so when your pc boots up press the delete key or whatever key your bios needs to be opened with (describes it on startup screen) and from there you go to smart fan settings (if you have a gigabyte motherboard) and you choose to set them on silent its simple but it may cause overheating if your pc needs to do heavy work like gaming
3rd party software for fan control isn't harmful to PC in any way. Only issue that could rise is not getting fan spinning at the preferred RPMs. But in that sense i agree that best way for digital fan control is via BIOS.

Though, your guide to control fans from BIOS doesn't help OP.
I take that you didn't read OP's text, why else would you suggest a fix that only works with Gigabyte MoBos? Since if you did read what OP said, you'd know that OP has Asus MoBo with completely different BIOS. In the old H77 chipset MoBo BIOS, OP doesn't have "S.M.A.R.T." or "silent" options.

So, if you don't have correct answer to a specific issue, don't post incorrect info in hopes of that applying to all MoBos and BIOSes out there. Which it doesn't. Posting incorrect info is bad business.

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
Dude. Forgot about bios!
Just install SpeedFan and use its smart fan controll. You can set your preffered rpm for every temp sensor in your pc. And it constantly change it automatically and exactly.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Dude. Forgot about bios!
Just install SpeedFan and use its smart fan controll. You can set your preffered rpm for every temp sensor in your pc. And it constantly change it automatically and exactly.
You can do the very same thing from BIOS as well. Also, SpeedFan is designed so that it flat out can not control CPU_FAN header, while BIOS can. Moreover, configuring SpeedFan is far more complex than doing it from BIOS. So, here, i'd say:"Forget about SpeedFan.".

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
You can do the very same thing from BIOS as well. Also, SpeedFan is designed so that it flat out can not control CPU_FAN header, while BIOS can. Moreover, configuring SpeedFan is far more complex than doing it from BIOS. So, here, i'd say:"Forget about SpeedFan.".
I dont know why but i can control the cpu fan with SpeedFan.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I dont know why but i can control the cpu fan with SpeedFan.
That depends on MoBo used since not all MoBos support CPU_FAN control via SpeedFan. E.g i can't control my CPU_FAN/CPU_OPT headers on my MSI Z170A Gaming M5 MoBo (yes, i tried SpeedFan out).

Also, as i stated above:
This program is aimed at the power user. At those who know what they're doing.
source: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

So, if common user can't understand the "simple" BIOS settings, then how on earth common user could understand SpeedFan, which is far more complex?

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
That depends on MoBo used since not all MoBos support CPU_FAN control via SpeedFan. E.g i can't control my CPU_FAN/CPU_OPT headers on my MSI Z170A Gaming M5 MoBo (yes, i tried SpeedFan out).

Also, as i stated above:

source: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

So, if common user can't understand the "simple" BIOS settings, then how on earth common user could understand SpeedFan, which is far more complex?
Well my main reason for using SpeedFan is accessibility!
Why should you ReStart your whole computer and enter the bios. Find your fan options to change the speed or controlling a simple fan while you can easily read a tutorial(as you said its much harder) and control it livetime.
And it should detect all fans maybe some motherboard malfunction presents

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Well my main reason for using SpeedFan is accessibility!
Why should you ReStart your whole computer and enter the bios. Find your fan options to change the speed or controlling a simple fan while you can easily read a tutorial(as you said its much harder) and control it livetime.
And it should detect all fans maybe some motherboard malfunction presents
While going into BIOS every time you want to change fan speed is inconvenient, there are even simpler fan control methods out there. I'm using that with all 3x of my PCs and what i have is this little thing: specs, which gives eyecandy, absolute control over my fans and is simple to use as well. I don't need to quit the game or Alt+Tab out of it to use it. Latter can't be said about SpeedFan though.