Question Can't figure out how to get USB-C case expansion with wacky Lian-Li case...

Mr3dPHD

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Hi everyone! So I love Lian-Li cases. I think they're cleverly designed and really efficient, but man they can get confusing. I'm no noob, but I'm very rusty. My last build was on an AM2 board and a lot has changed since then!

That being said, here's my new build:

LIAN LI PC-O12WX
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI
AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MSI GeForce GTX 1660
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600
Sabrent 500GB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280

I'm actually having a few issues but I'll post in appropriate areas for those. The issue I'm posting about here is in regard to the USB-C port at the top of the case, which I was very excited about. Unfortunately, my motherboard, which does have USB-C, only has it on the back. I really want to get this case port functional, but there's nowhere to hook it up. The obvious solution would be to buy an expansion card, but here's the problem, this case is super strange and it literally doesn't allow for expansion cards.

So the case is split down the middle allowing for your motherboard to be installed on one side, and a vertical mount for your video card on the other. A harness is included connecting the motherboard to the video card. The area behind the motherboard, however, does not have removable metal slot covers like a normal case though, so you literally can't even use your slots. Now technically, I don't even need one because I'm just trying to connect my case port to the motherboard. I want an expansion card that's internal only that just plugs right into a PCI-e slot. Is that a thing? Or is there perhaps another solution I haven't thought of yet?

Here's a good video that gives you a solid understanding of the unique case layout.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcAIo6vgDTA

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks!

-Mr3d

Lutfij

Titan
Is that a thing?
You could look at these options but I'm worried about the speeds and throughput of shown adapters. This is due to the fact that the chip on those adapters are lackluster when compared to the native support seen on the motherbaord. I'd have suggested that you swap the board for one with the necessary headers that plug into the cases' front panel or just leave it be until your next scheduled upgrade.

Mr3dPHD

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Yes, I'm definitely worried that the interface might downgrade the speed, which would really suck. I mean, I'd rather have it work at regular USB speed than not at all, for convenience purposes, but ideally I'd like it to get the full USB-C benefit, of course.

I don't know if these will work as the internal case connector is not a standard USB interface. I'm not home right now, but when I am later I'll take another look and maybe post a picture. The other issue is that these cards all have that expansion bracket on the back, which as mentioned above, there's no space for on the card. Has anyone here ever tried removing it? Maybe that's what I need to do.

Mr3dPHD

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Okay, so I figured out the interface is a USB 3.1 interface, which I guess I had just never seen before, so pretty standard. It sucks because the only thing that I think will work for me is something like this USB 3.1 Host Controller Card, which doesn't have a back end bracket, but I can't find any with the 3.1 interface. Only 3.0 or actual USB-C.

shopping