[SOLVED] Can't figure out how to setup NVMe RAID

ShredAgain

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
I recently purchased an 11700k and an N7 Z590 mobo, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to setup hardware NVMe RAID on it. I've turned on CSM, set the SATA mode to RST, but my second M.2 doesn't show. I gather from the mobo documentation (which is really poorly written) that the second M.2 slot can do PCIe and SATA. I thought that might have something to do with it, but I don't know how to switch between those modes. The M.2 shows up when RST is off. Any ideas, anyone?

Solution
Because Best Buy/HP accommodation for two 512s instead of a single 1024. I'm running two HP EX900s.
2 drives, sure.
C drive and D drive.

RAID 0 or 1?
Not so much.

With RAID 0, you get awesome benchnumbers.
And NO user facing performance benefit. Plus added complexity and fail potential.

RAID 1, there are much much better ways to safeguard your data, if you were thinking of that as a 'backup method'.

RAID is vastly overhyped in the consumer space.
Virtually useless for solid state drives.

USAFRet

Titan
Because Best Buy/HP accommodation for two 512s instead of a single 1024. I'm running two HP EX900s.
2 drives, sure.
C drive and D drive.

RAID 0 or 1?
Not so much.

And NO user facing performance benefit. Plus added complexity and fail potential.

RAID 1, there are much much better ways to safeguard your data, if you were thinking of that as a 'backup method'.

Solution

ShredAgain

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
2 drives, sure.
C drive and D drive.

RAID 0 or 1?
Not so much.

Given I don't get an answer on how to get this all set up, I might just go the simple disk route. I'm trying "future proof" if you will, by having a stupidly fast logical drive for direct storage.

USAFRet

Titan
Given I don't get an answer on how to get this all set up, I might just go the simple disk route. I'm trying "future proof" if you will, by having a stupidly fast logical drive for direct storage.
Individual drives are much better than a RAID in this.

RAID 0 + NVMe is not 'stupidly fast', except in artificial benchmark numbers.
In some cases, it can even be a touch slower than individual drives, due to the RAID overhead.

Just like the cake, "future proof" is a lie.

ShredAgain

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
Here is an amusing video on faster devices:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

And, your motherboard supports gen4 only on the first pcie slot, 3.0 on the second.
Your HPEX900 drives are pcie 3.0

Since you have a top end build and want the best performance,
my suggestion is to buy a single 1tb
Samsung 980 PRO:
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-1tb-980-pro/p/N82E16820147790?quicklink=true
At the end of the day, opinions aside, these two drives are what I have, and this doesn't exactly answer my question. Also, thanks for the video. I've been following LTT for 5-6 years now. I did see that one I think.

ShredAgain

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
I do not know how to enable this on your particular laptop.

I DO know that it is a useless path to follow.
Use it as is...C drive and D drive.
Do you force your opinions on people this much in real life? Btw, we are not talking about a laptop, this is a desktop. I get that you don't think the raid is worth it, but I asked a specific question, hoping someone would have an answer or would have had a similar experience. That is all.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Do you force your opinions on people this much in real life? Btw, we are not talking about a laptop, this is a desktop. I get that you don't think the raid is worth it, but I asked a specific question, hoping someone would have an answer or would have had a similar experience. That is all.

If you ask your doctor for their opinion on integrating eating a pound of bacon for breakfast every morning into your diet plans, the doctor is going to advise you not to do it.

RAID, for 99% of consumers, is a bad idea, with almost no real-world benefit while having a lot of serious risks. Like USAFRet, I find assisting a bad idea against my personal ethics, and nobody here has an obligation to do so. Pretty much any serious hobbyist here will tell you the same thing.