[SOLVED] Can't figure out the problem with my 3070

iiCharisma

Honorable
May 17, 2016
Hi everyone, I just got my EVGA 3070 FTW 3 brand new and put it in my system. I ran some games which ran "ok". Then I start up Warzone and I'm getting like 45-50 fps max settings at 1440p which absolutely does not seem right. I tweaked some settings, even lowering it to 1080p with similar performance. I then decided to run TimeSpy and got a score of 7400 which is atrocious. I replaced an AMD card and have already used DDU and even went as far as completely reinstalling windows, which didn't help. People with similar specs are getting quite literally double to performance I am right now and I cant figure out why.

PC Specs:
i7 8700k (not oc)
EVGA 3070 FTW 3 (Similar performance on both default and OC bios)
32 GB Ram
Windows 10
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 Mobo
800w Gold Corsair PSU

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Solution
With pc running, hold the power button down until the pc shuts off (do not shutdown by windows) . Boot to bios. Reset bios to factory optimized default settings. Save and exit.

That'll reset the cmos and bios settings. DDU through safe mode should have cleared the drivers.

I can't think of anything else that's not been tried already.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In the settings was Ray Tracing enabled and 4k DSR?

Is the bios updated? Re-download the motherboard chipset drivers after the windows reinstall?

Dropping resolution from 1440p to 1080p and getting similar results would imply a cpu issue somewhere, not so much a gpu issue. The cpu sets the fps limits, the gpu lives upto that limit according to resolution and detail levels, or fails.

So that resolution drop should have increased the fps somewhat dramatically if the cpu was healthy and the gpu the limiting factor.

iiCharisma

Honorable
May 17, 2016
Ray tracing off, I disabled DSR and gained a little fps, also updated the bios and chipset drivers, no change there. If I set resolution to 1080p and all settings low/off I get about 70 fps, which still isnt where it should be. CPU usage never really goes above 60% sim not really sure how it could be limiting it. I dont really know what else to try...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With pc running, hold the power button down until the pc shuts off (do not shutdown by windows) . Boot to bios. Reset bios to factory optimized default settings. Save and exit.

That'll reset the cmos and bios settings. DDU through safe mode should have cleared the drivers.

I can't think of anything else that's not been tried already.

Solution

iiCharisma

Honorable
May 17, 2016
Ok so as a last ditch effort to fix this, I reseated the card, switched the 8 pin power connectors (not different ones just changed the positions) and used the 1st DP port on the card (was using the 3rd) and all is good now. Went from a 7000 score on timespy to 13k, and I'm also getting 115+ fps in warzone 1440p max settings. I have no idea which of those things I tried fixed the problem, but I appreciate all the help.