[SOLVED] Can't figure why PC shuts down randomly

Bitzsec

Reputable
Nov 21, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm in serious need of help with my issue.
I built the following system:
i5 9400F
Sapphire Nitro RX 580 Special Edition
Gigabyte H310M S2V 2.0
G Skill Aegis 8gb 3000mhz
Zalman ZM700-TX
Adata SU650 120gb

It worked fine for the first day then everything got worse the other day (It is a week old now)
The PC simply keeps shutting down at random times as if power completely went down (everything is off, fans, hdd and lights) then it turns itself again a second or two after automatically.
It did this like 15 times already on the following occasions:
1- Just after booting into Windows while idle in the desktop
2- After 1 to 7 hours of heavy games and browsing and watching movies
3- 1 to 7 hours of idle
4- Just a few seconds after turning it on

So far what I tried:
1- Windows reinstall although it shuts down sometimes even before booting into Windows
2- Checking all cables
3- Switching RAM
4- Disconnecting the HDD and keeping the boot SSD
5- Stress testing CPU with XTU, GPU with Furmark simultaneously for 1 hour with no problem, I guess this eliminates the PSU being the cause
6- Stress test RAM with Memtest86 for 2 hours 4 pass, it returned 0 errors
7- Disabling automatic restart on system failure, still I didn't get any BSOD, just Event ID 41

My temps are fine with max 70C on CPU, 65C On VRM Mosfet and 75C on GPU

The most weird time it happened was when it turned off and back on so fast repetitively

Please someone help me as I truly paid every saved penny for this PC.

Last edited:
Solution
So I had the same problem yesterday and I dusted off my PSU. But the real Thing I opened it there was alot of dust on the components. It stoped after I did that lime if dust was randomly conducting electricity in parts where it should not under load but that just a theory. WARNING: CAPACITORS CAN SEVERLY ELECTROCUTE YOU AND OPENING A PSU VOID THE WARRANTY!
Dust isn't usually very conductive nor capacitive.

The dust prevents components from being effectively cooled and the PSU shuts down under load to prevent overheating.

This is possible, but a failed PSU is possible aswell.

Bitzsec

Reputable
Nov 21, 2019
Its crap, its unpredictable.

Whether it is causing the issue now or not, it will be a problem eventually, and you might not like the damage it does when it fails.

Replace it.
So, is there anyway I can confirm it is a bad PSU, you know it is hard to just go to the supplier and tell him that I just want to return this PSU

Dec 26, 2019
So I had the same problem yesterday and I dusted off my PSU. But the real Thing I opened it there was alot of dust on the components. It stoped after I did that lime if dust was randomly conducting electricity in parts where it should not under load but that just a theory. WARNING: CAPACITORS CAN SEVERLY ELECTROCUTE YOU AND OPENING A PSU VOID THE WARRANTY!

Dust isn't usually very conductive nor capacitive.

The dust prevents components from being effectively cooled and the PSU shuts down under load to prevent overheating.

This is possible, but a failed PSU is possible aswell.

Solution