cant find 150W - 200w power supply

124bfg

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
Hello,

I cannot seem to find a ATX 150w to 200w power supply anywhere..
I have looked on amazon and ebay.

I am building a pfsense router/firewall. The whole system will draw around 90w under load.

So my question is:
Can anyone help me find a 150w to 200w power supply that is from a decent manufacturer (no cheap chinese PSU)?

Thanks

Er well yeah but not like that.

A 500w PSU might eat 550w of power. A bit of loss there. It consumes a bit more than it gives.

That same PSU running at 100W may use 150W of power. Same 50w loss but the loss is a higher % of total output and therefore it is less efficient.

Hope that makes sense

124bfg

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
Yeah it does, thanks.

Basically, I am using this http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900M/ with a usb drive or an SSD to make a low powered router. I want it to be as low power and efficient as possible. Will using a 450w psu increase the power consumed then?

Not by much. Really it boils down to the power supplies efficiency at that output.
If you get an 80+ gold/silver/bronze certified PSU you'll be good.
Those certified PSUs are tested at 20% load, 50% load, and 100% load. They must be 80% efficient at each point in order to get basic certification, better efficiency gets them better ratings starting at bronze.

So a 450W PSU, which has been 80+ certified, will have been tested at 20% (90W for a 450W) and will have proven to been 80% efficient or better - consuming somewhere between 90 and 108W of power.

This is why i'd rather you get a highly rated PSU from somewhere like Seasonic, versus a terribly rated liteon PSU that has a peak output closer to your needs - in reality the higher quality PSU will be the winner in regards to efficiency at low loads.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Have you looked into a motherboard that takes DC input via a 12V plug? Since you are using an embedded processor anyway you could just get one powered by an external brick.

Hmm, that was easy:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/q1900dc-itx/

124bfg

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
No I havn't.

The only problem with that motherboard is the lack of pcie express lanes (for NICs) and full length ram..

Are there any cheaper embedded low power quad core 2.4ghz cpus?