Can't find a case that meets all my requirements. Please help.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
I'm really struggling to find the right case. Tom's, please help!

Here the PC build i'm working on (some old, some new)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZfcCXH

-The ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero Z270 has a front I/O header for USB 3.1 Gen 2
so I want a Front USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C port that will plug into the ASUS mobo header for it.
-Properly fit all components in my parts list above
-1 x 5.25 external drive bay
-Preferably have filters on air intake areas
-Preferably have a side window and possibly RGB

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Do you know if it uses the Gen 2 header connection or the 19 pin Gen 1 header to the mobo? I can't seem to find anything on it.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

This list is actually what prompted me to post this thread. There isn't a single case on this list with an external 5.25 drive bay.

Write an email or a couple of emails to case manufacturers and see if you can get more interest in that particular market.
USB 3.1 Gen 2 compatible ports are still making it way to cases. There may be more choices by the end of this year or at least more will be announced on the next CES.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

The Naxonia Coolforce 2 Rev. B has potential. I sent them an e-mail to confirm it had a Gen 2 connection to the mobo but I got a confusing response back from them. I'm waiting for an e-mail back from them for more clarification.
They said:
"As far as USB 3.1 Type C port connector, our cable is designed to plug into your motherboard from the back. You should have no problem connecting to your ASUS Maximus IX Hero USB 3.1 Gen 2 header.
I have also included an attachment showing USB 3.1 Type C and USB 3.0 19 pin gen 1 connector."

So I'm not sure which connection he is saying the Type C port has to the mobo, Gen 2 or 19 pin Gen 1.
People seem to think that a Type C connection automatically means it's Gen 2 which isn't the case.

There are still people who may not understand what the USB 3.1 Gen 2 header is. Once it goes mainstream, the marketing/sales people should know what it is by then. Unless it specifically advertise it has USB 3.1 gen 2 header support, assume it has the USB 3.0 (USB 3.1 Gen 1) 19 pin header or some other wiring.

From the manual, it sounds like the Naxonia wants you to runs a cable to the type c port on the back i/o of your motherboard for the one on the front panel. It's one alternative way to implement usb 3.1 gen 1/2 type c but it does not use the gen 2 front panel header on motherboards.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

It did occur to me he may have been referring to just a pass through from the rear I/O. That's a workable option also but not as "clean" looking for wiring. Betting than using the Gen 1 header anyway. I'm still waiting to hear back from them about it. Thanks for the help!

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Hey,
Just heard back from Nanoxia.
The front USB Type C port does use a pass-through to the rear I/O USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C port.
Not ideal but does give the case a front USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C port so you can add it to your list if you like.