Can't find any device - Fresh build having problems [help]

DatFanta

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Hey guys, as you're probably aware of the title im in need of some help with my pc, whenever I boot up it seems to give me the message:

Asmedia 106X SATA Controller Ver 0.93 AHCI Mode
S.M.A.R.T. Supported
Using PCIE Gen 2
Can't find any device.

This HDD is from a previous build also, which I'm using as a main hard drive, it works fine on my other pc.

note: My motherboard is an ASRock 970DE3/U3S3.

As I've been looking around for the past day or so, this is an occuring problem with alot of ASRock Motherboards on the forums and haven't found a solution that fits me, so I'm in need of some help.

*I've already taken the bios battery out and put it back in, aswell as jumping it.

*I've also taken out 1 stick of my 8GB Corsair Vengeance ram, and my graphics card whilst restarting the rig, nothing happened.

*Disabled all other boot drives and booted from my HDD that contains my windows 7 64 bit.

*tried windows startup repair, failed.

*checked the whole damn bios for an option, failed yet again.

*tried countless times, failed time after time.

Basically, the problem is that when I startup, it gives me a "can't find any devices" error and when I select to boot windows it crashes. Any help would be appreciated as I can't afford to replace this motherboard and need to fix this asap, thanks.

Solution
Well, let's clarify it a bit:
- the board uses 2 SATA controllers: AMD, with 6 SATA 2.0 ports (black - bottom right corner) and ASMedia, 2 gray SATA 3.0 ports, near the 24 pin ATX connector.
Since no drive is connected to the gray ports, therefore the message - no error here. If you don't want getting the message, just go to BIOS, Advanced, Storage configuration and set Onboard SATA3 operation mode to Disabled.
Now, since you've installed Windows on a different PC, that's why you can't use it on a new one - different drivers/settings.
Try though setting in BIOS, Advanced, Storage configuration the SATA operation mode to IDE.
What SATA port using for connecting the drive/s, black or gray? If black, then you can just disable the ASmedia controller in BIOS and no more messages. Now, regarding not being able to boot. Is it a fresh installation, or using an old HDD (Windows installed on a different system)?

DatFanta

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Hi, all of the SATA ports are black, giving me no other option, thanks for your advice, I'll try and get a step closer tomorrow, the boot however; which I believe is a part of the problem caused by this whole "cant find any devices" situation is just a simple Windows 7 64 install on a HDD, it's been used on my current pc, so It works fine here, Im not sure if its mandatory to reinstall once on a new pc, but I've not been able to get to that stage because of 1) Cant find device 2) Windows startup repair doesn't help me at all 3) cannot boot from hdd at all, only my USB which contains windows 7 64 (the install which i used for my hdd) and im not too sure if that will fix my problem, as Im not too keen on losing everything, thanks.

Well, let's clarify it a bit:
- the board uses 2 SATA controllers: AMD, with 6 SATA 2.0 ports (black - bottom right corner) and ASMedia, 2 gray SATA 3.0 ports, near the 24 pin ATX connector.
Since no drive is connected to the gray ports, therefore the message - no error here. If you don't want getting the message, just go to BIOS, Advanced, Storage configuration and set Onboard SATA3 operation mode to Disabled.
Now, since you've installed Windows on a different PC, that's why you can't use it on a new one - different drivers/settings.
Try though setting in BIOS, Advanced, Storage configuration the SATA operation mode to IDE.

Solution

DatFanta

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Yep, all correct on the spec part, thank you for your help, I'll try again tomorrow and update you if it works, :)

DatFanta

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Hi again, thank you for your help on the grey sata port, there is now no message and I can load properly, I also changed it to IDE and done as you said regarding the bios, one more problem, windows is still crashing while it says "starting windows" any help?

mattey94

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016

I bought new motherboard: ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 and I had the same problem. I did everything as said, but still computer shuts down in random moment. It's on for max 2mins. Sometimes it shuts down even before booting or when i'm in BIOS. Is it possible that I connected things wrong way? All hardware was checked and it's working. Only MOBO is new. Any ideas?

mattey94

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016

It goes to 79*C (174.2 degrees Fahrenheit) and shuts down. And if I start it again right after the shut down, it shuts down almost imidiately which I guess mean that it's still too hot. Should i change the thermal paste or somehow fix the cooling? I didn't had these problems with my older motherboard. Here's some photos. I have one fan with that metal thing on my CPU.

http://image.prntscr.com/image/e48ff0fd428248e29f41ed91a30f3be5.png

http://image.prntscr.com/image/29814f13559a4f90983e296f763e92e3.png

mattey94

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016

I changed the thermal paste and install heatsing precisely and now everything works. Didn't even need to reinstall Windows. Thank you very much alexoiu!

TRENDING THREADS