Question Can't find BIOS update for Asus P5LP-VX mobo to use Core 2 Duo E4700 ?

Jan 1, 2023
Hi, I have an old Sony Vaio VGC-RA940G desktop PC with Asus P5LP-VX (Not LE) motherboard inside. I wanted to upgrade this computers cpu from Pentium D 820 to Core 2 Duo E4700 and even 6700 is supported by this system too. I installed the cpu and it didn't work. It just works with old Pentium 820. I wanted to find a compatible BIOS update for P5LP-VX motherboard but every time I searched for an update, I am always faced with LE motherboard firmwares instead of VX. I didn't find any reliable source to install an update. It just turned on with new cpu but there are no cooling fans spinning. Only the PSU and few lights are working.

I really need a bios update compatible with ASUS P5LP-VX or the firmware for Sony VGC-RA940G

I found a bios for P5LP-LE ASUS motherboards but I'm afraid of bricking machine. Please reply me soon as possible

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

I wanted to upgrade this computers cpu from Pentium D 820 to Core 2 Duo E4700 and even 6700 is supported by this system too
Might I ask where the source of this info is? Which CPU did you drop into the socket?

I found a bios for P5LP-LE ASUS motherboards but I'm afraid of bricking machine.
If you don't have the right BIOS for the right motherboard then you should back off immediately.

Logically I'd advise that you locate where the BIOS chip is on the motherboard's PCB, source a CH341A BIOS programming tool, then back up the BIOS that's on the BIOS chip at this moment of time, then flash the BIOS chip with the BIOS version you've found...though the fact that you didn't state this here would indicate that you have no clue what to do in the event that the board does end up bricked, tells me you shouldn't be attempting the BIOS update with a BIOS version meant for another motherboard.

those mainboards are OEM, bios is provided by SONY...and theirs website is empty...its from 2007 afterall
P5LP-LE is HP version of this board, its different mainboard, customised for HP
closest to this mainboard would be P5L-MX
but you cant just flash bios directly from another mainboard model, it will probably get bricked

so no update available, unsupported CPU will not work, you could learn how to customise bios to add CPU support from P5L-MX bios into P5LP-VX

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
OP

my advice is to stop trying to update the bios.

it's too risky to mess with the bios of something as old as this.

you could easily end up with a dead pc.

just buy a new pc if you need more performance. Even if you can upgrade this pc to a core 2 duo... it would still be too outdated today. Browsing the internet, watching youtube, chatting in discord and forums is fine. But for modern gaming, you need a new pc.

Last edited: