[SOLVED] Can't find Boot Device with M.2

Jun 6, 2021
2 M.2 installed on Motherboard, use to work fine. Transferred the Motherboard into a new case with a new CPU cooler. Now the BIOS is unable to find the boot device. I have attempted to boot with CSM enabled and disabled. I have attempted to boot with both UEFI and Legacy mode. I have also reset my BIOS with no luck. Any help appreciated

Note: Using ASUS ROG Motherboard. When clicking Qfan Control, the BIOS freezes. This happened before and after resetting the BIOS

Last edited:
Solution
Now the BIOS is unable to find the boot device

Worst case scenario is you may have ESD'd both of the M.2 drives while transferring them to the new case.
Always ground yourself before handling any components

If you have a spare system or a friend willing to test out your M.2 drives, you can plug them there and see if it shows in their BIOS. If it doesn't, then It would be a grim outlook.
I recently bought a new case too, while I was removing its plastic I felt a shock. No components were installed yet onto the case.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Have you tried removing the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes before replacing? Make and model of your PSU, chassis and the motherboard? How old is the PSU in your build? You can also try reseating the SSD's. Try reseating the boot SSD alone and have the second SSD disconnected from the platform. Once the primary SSD allows boot to progress, shut down, disconnect from wall, reseat the second SSD into the motherboard. Make and model of your SSD's?

Jun 6, 2021
I removed the CMOS for about 5 minutes with a conductor placed on the CLRTC to reset the BIOS, not for 30 minutes though. Will attempt reseat and update when completed.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Z490-E
PSU: Corsair 1000X (About 3 years old I think)
SSD 1(Boot device): WD_BLACK SN750 2TB NVME
SSD 2: Samsung 250GB EVO (Maybe)

Now the BIOS is unable to find the boot device

Worst case scenario is you may have ESD'd both of the M.2 drives while transferring them to the new case.
Always ground yourself before handling any components

If you have a spare system or a friend willing to test out your M.2 drives, you can plug them there and see if it shows in their BIOS. If it doesn't, then It would be a grim outlook.
I recently bought a new case too, while I was removing its plastic I felt a shock. No components were installed yet onto the case.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 6, 2021
I'm not so sure of that. I know you don't have to feel it, but I never felt a shock. And the BIOS has been able to detect both storage devices, they're just unable to use them. I attempted to just do a fresh install of Windows but the installer said it was unable to gain any information from the storage devices

TRENDING THREADS