[SOLVED] Can't find decent mouse

whitelion1284

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
Hi there,
for years I have been searching for a mouse that I'm happy with and still can't seem to do it. If it's not the shape it's the software.

I use a fingertip grip, which means I put my wrist on the edge of my desk and use nothing but the tips of my fingers to move the mouse. As a result 95% of the mice I've tried are either too big, have this giant lump of plastic that butts into my palm (palm rest gets in the way of a fingertip grip) or has the thumb buttons too far forward to be used comfortably.

On the software side I'm just disgusted. The Razer Atheris is almost the right size and shape (although it does have it's problems). The problem is it also comes with nearly a gigabyte (yes a gigabyte) of software that also feels entitled to 500mb of Ram, software that is buggy, unstable and often problematic. For young people, who have grown up submerged in computer software bloat and exponentially more powerful hardware this may seem normal but for someone who actually knows what a mouse driver is (a small set of instructions that could be summed up with several megabytes of code) this level of inefficiency is just appalling. The mouse I replaced the Atheris with is the Corsair Harpoon and... well... despite a similar sized package of control software the forward and back buttons don't work correctly for navigating windows or websites (something my twenty year old trackball is capable of right out of the box, mind you).

So I'm stumped.

I'm looking for a small, well-made, variable dpi, wireless optical mouse with a couple of thumb buttons and a software package that doesn't include a gigabyte of bloat. Does such a thing even exist?

Thanks

Solution
wrist parked? fingertip controls?
this guy here, I've been a user of this model for- no joke- 21 years. they have changed the color and added a couple buttons but overall it has remained the same. IMHO the pinnacle of input devices.
https://www.logitech.com/en-hk/product/156

iu

move the ball instead of the mouse, wrist parked, check. fingertip controls,check, small drivers check - how does none sound if you wish?
no drivers needed windows has them, you can install the logitech software if you wish to program the two smaller inner buttons.

everytime I loan my spare out to people, they buy...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
wrist parked? fingertip controls?
this guy here, I've been a user of this model for- no joke- 21 years. they have changed the color and added a couple buttons but overall it has remained the same. IMHO the pinnacle of input devices.
https://www.logitech.com/en-hk/product/156

iu

move the ball instead of the mouse, wrist parked, check. fingertip controls,check, small drivers check - how does none sound if you wish?
no drivers needed windows has them, you can install the logitech software if you wish to program the two smaller inner buttons.

everytime I loan my spare out to people, they buy one for themselves.
I am an avid gamer and for FPS games this thing is a dream.

iu

also wireless variants

Solution