Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Hey.

I7 930
Msi x58pro-e
Asus r9 390 strix
8gb ddr3 1066
Windows 10

I bought new psu corsair tx750m, after I plugged it my pc doesnt find my hdd hard drives, 250gb and 1tb, but it finds 120gb ssd.
I cant see em in bios, disk managemt, my computer or anywhere.

I re-installed windows and even on start of install it shows only ssd.

I have changed cables.

Tryed other sata ports on mainboard

I have switched cables from ssd to hdd

Tryed to plug only 1 hdd but cant see in bios (windows is on ssd so cant try to see it there whitout ssd plugged in)

Tryed to plug only ssd->start pc and shut down->plug 1 more hdd and startup again.

Solution
Do you have another computer with SATA ports that you could test the 2 HDDs on? If they are not recognized in the 2nd computer's BIOS, then it is likely the drives failed. If they are recognized, then more troubleshooting on your computer is needed.
Did you in both the SATA and the SATA power cables to those hard drives after you swapped out the power supply? So, both those hard drives each have two cables going to them?

Double check that the end of the power cables going to the hard drives is fully seated, and maybe try a different power cable to the hard drives or plug the power cable to the hard drives into an alternate connector on the PSU.

If they worked before, they should work now, even if there was a problem with them they should still show up. Seems like no power to those drives.

paakkojuho

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Yes I did change both cables many times. From ssd to hdd allso. Tryed difrent power slots from psu, difrent cables and so on. Ssd and disk drive works allways, but never either hdd

EDIT:
I have tryed to plug all 3 in same power cable in difrent orders. and all of them to difrent power cables @ same time

EDIT2:
And I tryed this:

Go into BIOS set the SATA mode to IDE and boot into system.

Start REGEDIT and look for this line :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\StartOverride

Change the 0 DWORD value from 3 to 0.

Reboot, and change your SATA controller to AHCI in BIOS. Now let it boot into safe mode, WIN 10 will install required drivers for AHCI.

Now with a normal boot you will boot into Windows with AHCI drivers.

At this point, what does or does not show in Windows is irrelevant. You need to get them to show up in the bios or else nothing else matters.

Try this. Connect all drives to both SATA data and power as you originally intended it to be connected, with the power off of course. I'm assuming that when you FIRST did this, you switched off the power supply by the switch on the back of the PSU, yes?

So, with the power supply connected, but switched off, remove the CMOS battery for three to five minutes or so. Now reinstall the cmos battery and boot into the bios. Set the bios to optimal default or setup default settings. Save settings and restart. Go back into the bios again and see if the drives are showing up now. If they are not there is either a problem with the storage controller on your motherboard, the power supply itself or the two drives somehow got zapped. Might also be worth trying those drives in another computer to verify that they are in fact ok and still functional.

That would at least narrow things down to either the power supply or motherboard, if in fact you are certain that there is nothing else in the system that is not completely plugged in. I've seen issues like this before when the ATX 24 pin or EPS 12v 8 pin connectors are not fully seated on the motherboard, or when a stick of RAM is not fully seated. Also, when one corner of the CPU cooler has come loose and some contacts are not making a good connection with the motherboard. Check all these things.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1753671/bench-troubleshooting.html

paakkojuho

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Yes power was off from PSU and power cable was plugged off.
I cleared cmos whit the button on mainboard whitout taking battery out, is it ok? It didn't help.
Cpu wasn't loose and I re plugged ram's.

I tryed to connect the old PSU back and same problem. It should narrow this out: "I've seen issues like this before when the ATX 24 pin or EPS 12v 8 pin connectors are not fully seated on the motherboard"

Clear CMOS button does not do the same thing as removing the battery. Clear CMOS only resets to system default settings. Removing battery resets entire BIOS back to factory defaults, or defaults for the last time a new bios version was installed.

If you are 120% sure that no connectors, memory modules or anything else has come loose, and if the old PSU is doing the same thing as the new one, then I'd say it's likely something got zapped. You ARE saying that NONE of those drives will work when connected to the same motherboard header that the SSD is hooked to? Are these SATA hard drives or IDE hard drives? Try disconnecting the SSD, connecting one of the hard drives to same header as SSD and see if it is recognized in bios.

paakkojuho

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017

Yes I have plugged the ssd off and added those cables to hdd and its not working.
SATA drives
I will do double check tomorrow if connectors, memory modules or anything else has come loose, and will take the battery off allso.

Do you have another computer with SATA ports that you could test the 2 HDDs on? If they are not recognized in the 2nd computer's BIOS, then it is likely the drives failed. If they are recognized, then more troubleshooting on your computer is needed.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.