Can't find HDD in laptop, but can find it in desktop

Emohobo

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
I have a 500GB Seagate HDD I got from a buddy. I'm trying to put Windows 7 on it so I can give it to a friend for his laptop. I can't install Windows 7 from USB on the HDD in my main pc because my MBoard only has USB 3.0 and 3.1 ports, and Windows 7 doesn't like those. Tried to do it from my laptop, and it can't find the HDD. It finds any other HDD just fine. My PC can however find the HDD, there's just nothing on it so it can't boot. So my questions are

A. Why can't laptop find this drive and
B. How can I install windows 7 on this drive without having to find an older motherboard with USB 2.0 ports?

Solution

It seems you're trying to install WIndows while this drive is connected via a USB port?
That won't work.

Now would installing it...
Emohobo, if a computer has only USB 2.0 ports, then a USB 3 device is supposed to just work at USB 2 capabilities/speeds. It's a backwards-compatible interface. If your main PC can see the drive, can you boot from Windows media on a USB and then install Windows on the drive?

Emohobo

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017

The problem is that Windows 7 can't pick up on the USB 3 drivers

USAFRet

Titan

It seems you're trying to install WIndows while this drive is connected via a USB port?
That won't work.

Now would installing it on System A, and then moving that drive to Laptop B.

Solution