[SOLVED] Can't find HDD with Windows 10 after install

Dec 7, 2019
I'm trying to install Windows 10 on an HDD (WD Blue 1TB) that I was previously using as a storage drive (I had the OS on another SATA SSD that seems to have died on me).

I get through the whole installation process, including deleting all existing partitions, and then the computer restarts. But after restarting, the drive doesn't appear in the list of bootable options. I still only see the USB that I was using to install Windows.

I do see the drive in the boot order list if I have Legacy + UEFI enabled, but not if I'm in UEFI only. Regardless, the drive only shows with the name of the drive and not "Windows Boot Manager"

My problem seems almost exactly like the issue described in this thread, which was unfortunately never solved.

Any help would be appreciated! I've been stuck in this state all week and I'm really frustrated.

Other info:
  • I also have Ubuntu installed on an M.2 drive. I've tried installing Windows with the M.2 connected and with it disconnected, doesn't seem to make a difference
  • The installation media I'm using was generated using WoeUSB, and I've also tried using installation media created with the command line on a Mac
  • After the Windows installation, I can see that partitions were created on the drive (using diskpart from the command line accessed via the USB with the installation media)
  • Hardware:
    • MOBO: Asus Prime B450M-A
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 1600
    • HDD: WD Blue 1TB (this one)
    • M.2: CRUCIAL 1TB P1 NVME M.2 SSD

Solution
In case someone stumbles across this in the future:

I was able to solve the issue, and it seems like it was probably the installation media. I tried installing Ubuntu on the WD drive since I had an installation USB that I knew worked - the install went fine. That gave me reason to believe the issue was the Windows 10 USB.

I borrowed a coworker's Windows machine for a few minutes and created a Windows 10 USB using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool. I was able to successfully install Windows on the WD drive using that USB.

Only other oddity I'll note is that the drive showed up as slightly bigger when I went to install Windows this time - might've just been a bug, or maybe installing Ubuntu on the drive somehow flushed the drive...
Dec 7, 2019
In case someone stumbles across this in the future:

I was able to solve the issue, and it seems like it was probably the installation media. I tried installing Ubuntu on the WD drive since I had an installation USB that I knew worked - the install went fine. That gave me reason to believe the issue was the Windows 10 USB.

I borrowed a coworker's Windows machine for a few minutes and created a Windows 10 USB using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool. I was able to successfully install Windows on the WD drive using that USB.

Only other oddity I'll note is that the drive showed up as slightly bigger when I went to install Windows this time - might've just been a bug, or maybe installing Ubuntu on the drive somehow flushed the drive.

And last step was to boot into Ubuntu and run sudo update-grub to get the new Windows installation on the boot menu, which worked without a hitch.

TL;DR Use a Windows machine to create your installation media!

Solution