cant find my external hardrive

lostit01

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
have been reading alot of the cases and tryed some of them. I plug my external hard drive in usb but its not showing up in my computer or disk management can not find it under disk management anywhere it works fine on other computers but really need it to go on my laptop is anyone able to help? please

Solution
Hey there, lostit01.

Have you checked if the drive is recognized by the Device Manager: How to access Device Manager in Windows. If "yes" does it happen to have a yellow exclamation mark, or does it say anything different that "the device is working normally"?
I'd recommend that you try a different mass storage device with that laptop, to see if the same thing happens again. You could also download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run some tests on the drive, just to check if there's anything out of the ordinary.
Make sure that the driver for your USB controller is up to data and the chipset driver as well.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, lostit01.

Have you checked if the drive is recognized by the Device Manager: How to access Device Manager in Windows. If "yes" does it happen to have a yellow exclamation mark, or does it say anything different that "the device is working normally"?
I'd recommend that you try a different mass storage device with that laptop, to see if the same thing happens again. You could also download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run some tests on the drive, just to check if there's anything out of the ordinary.
Make sure that the driver for your USB controller is up to data and the chipset driver as well.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

lostit01

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
hi yes i did try to access the device manager in windows no exclamation marks showing up. ill try the HDD manufacturers diagnostic too and let you know how i get on with that.
thank you

TRENDING THREADS