[SOLVED] Can't find Software Location?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

I'm trying to find the location of Dolby Access so I can add it to the startup folder.... but I can't get access even though I have admin rights, nor can I find it via searching File Explorer?

If I need to add other programs - I assume I'm going to have similar problems so I'd love to find a solution for any of these things that pop up if possible?

I tried clicking through the process to ask permission to view the folder etc but it still wouldn't let me and/or it let me look at some stuff via a properties popup but it had no info on the file name or location so it was of no use to me?

FYI - I have Win 11, but I have placed this here as most problems are pretty identical in both versions and I'll probably get more help from here as a Win 10 is far more common.

Any ideas?

thank you for your help

Solution
Hello

I'm trying to find the location of Dolby Access so I can add it to the startup folder.... but I can't get access even though I have admin rights, nor can I find it via searching File Explorer?

If I need to add other programs - I assume I'm going to have similar problems so I'd love to find a solution for any of these things that pop up if possible?

I tried clicking through the process to ask permission to view the folder etc but it still wouldn't let me and/or it let me look at some stuff via a properties popup but it had no info on the file name or location so it was of no use to me?

FYI - I have Win 11, but I have placed this here as most problems are pretty identical in both versions and I'll probably get more help from...
Jan 4, 2022
If you've successfully installed Dolby Access it should automatically start on startup. Try restarting your PC, navigate to the taskbar on the bottom right. Right click the speaker icon and see if there is an option for Dolby Access OR see if Dolby Access has it's own task bar icon.

Jul 14, 2021
Hello

FYI - I have Win 11, but I have placed this here as most problems are pretty identical in both versions and I'll probably get more help from here as a Win 10 is far more common.

Any ideas?

thank you for your help

Are you sure you have Dolby Access installed on your computer? Due to a licensing deal between Dolby Labs and Microsoft, the software is hardcoded into the Windows menus regardless if the software is actually installed onto your drive. Many unsuspecting users have complained that they can't uninstall the program when, in fact, the program is not present. Only the hardcoded menu is.

In other words, if you didn't buy the software, it may not be on your computer. Generally speaking, the Dolby app is installed as trial software for new users. After the trial is over, the functionality is disabled (unless you buy the software) although the files remain on the drive. So yes, you should be able to find a folder. However, that would not be the case if you or someone else had uninstalled it. That might have happened, for example, if you had gotten the computer second hand, but never reset it to install Windows from scratch. Or perhaps you had uninstalled it, but had forgotten because it's still listed in the menus.

If you want Dolby Access, reinstall it and be ready to pay after the trial period is over.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-uninstall-dolby-access/f7697de2-2d56-4c31-a72c-7f82f06e8419

https://superuser.com/questions/1347474/can-i-remove-the-dolby-atmos-advert-from-windows-10

Solution

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
If you've successfully installed Dolby Access it should automatically start on startup. Try restarting your PC, navigate to the taskbar on the bottom right. Right click the speaker icon and see if there is an option for Dolby Access OR see if Dolby Access has it's own task bar icon.

Re Taskbar - Nope - nothing there?

Cheers

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Are you sure you have Dolby Access installed on your computer? Due to a licensing deal between Dolby Labs and Microsoft, the software is hardcoded into the Windows menus regardless if the software is actually installed onto your drive. Many unsuspecting users have complained that they can't uninstall the program when, in fact, the program is not present. Only the hardcoded menu is.

In other words, if you didn't buy the software, it may not be on your computer. Generally speaking, the Dolby app is installed as trial software for new users. After the trial is over, the functionality is disabled (unless you buy the software) although the files remain on the drive. So yes, you should be able to find a folder. However, that would not be the case if you or someone else had uninstalled it. That might have happened, for example, if you had gotten the computer second hand, but never reset it to install Windows from scratch. Or perhaps you had uninstalled it, but had forgotten because it's still listed in the menus.

If you want Dolby Access, reinstall it and be ready to pay after the trial period is over.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-uninstall-dolby-access/f7697de2-2d56-4c31-a72c-7f82f06e8419

https://superuser.com/questions/1347474/can-i-remove-the-dolby-atmos-advert-from-windows-10

I bought the license myself.

I built my own PC and bought Windows separately so it did not come built in.

This shouldn't be this hard?

cheers