Can't find "supported" memory for new ASRock Z390 Extreme 4 motherboard

jfriend00

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
When buying memory for a ASRock Z390 Extreme 4 motherboard, does it really have to be in ASRock's memory QVL supported list? Or, if I'm buying G.Skill Trident or G.Skill Ripjaws, am I going to be fine?

I am specing out a new system based on an ASRock Z390 Extreme 4 motherboard and I'm trying to find memory for it and I'm having trouble finding a desired memory product that I can find for sale that is listed on the supported Memory QVL.

I'm looking for DDR4-3200 2x16GB with good timings and in looking through the numerous choices offered by PCPartPicker, I can't find a single part number from that selection that is listed in the ASRock Memory QVL for that motherboard. When I try to go the other way and search newegg for the actual part numbers in the QVL, I find it very difficult to find any of those that are even for sale either. Something doesn't seem right here,

Is the ASRock QVL just not up-to-date with the currently "for sale" part numbers? Or, what am I missing? If I buy a name brand set of memory, is it likely to work with the ASRock Z390 Extreme 4 motherboard? Even if I want to overclock the memory a bit?

Solution
You are wise to check.

Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.

I have no doubts that you can find a supported ram kit from g.skil.

You will get support from g.skil or any other ram vendors that says it supports the ram .
You are wise to check.

Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.

I have no doubts that you can find a supported ram kit from g.skil.

You will get support from g.skil or any other ram vendors that says it supports the ram .

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Reactions: captainenergy
Jan 11, 2021
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $179.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-30 12:48 EDT-0400

OR

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($194.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $194.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-30 14:38 EDT-0400

Bought the exact G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 memory from newegg but computer won't recognize it. If you had any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you!