Question Can't Fix Black Screen Explorer No-Run


Feb 14, 2014
Hi All,

I've got the common problem that after logging in I get a black screen and a command prompt but Explorer isn't runnning (screen show below).

Typing Explorer immediately starts up the program and after that the system is perfectly usable with no isues. However, I've been trying to fix this issue with no success and need some help.

I have examined the Registry entry in RegEdit - its ok and I also deleted it an recreated it - no change.
I have run the Windows system troubleshooting tools no change and nothing abnormal identified.
I have tried various command line tools such as sfc /scannow and other, no change.

Anyone got any ideas. It doesn't seem like a serious issue but why is Windows doing this and why can't this be fixed?

Many thanks for any advice.


Win 10 Master
does it happen in safe mode?

on logon screen, click the power button in bottom right of screen
while holding left shift, click restart button
restarts PC in advanced startup repair
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode
same thing here?

you could try startup repair but I feel it fixes things before windows starts, not after, but you can never tell
same way into blue menus
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

one fix i found was reset - i try to fix things without it. There are few other suggestions along way. - link - if you edit or change registry items, make sure to backup a copy first -

which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver
and press enter
current version is 1909

if you on 1909 and neither of those help, a repair install might fix it -
Reactions: kwangle


Feb 14, 2014
Thank you Colif, the link you posted soved the issue!

There were separate Registery entries for Winlogon, The one for:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
was set to %comspec%. Deleting this fixed the problem.

I had previously adjusted the entry for:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
which was still set to Explorer.exe but clearly this was being overridden by the other entry.

Many thanks again for your helpful and detailed post.
Reactions: Colif