Question Can't flash BIOS

SteelBlood

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
I bought a certified refurbished P9X79 motherboard to replace my P9X79 LE that broke. After installing everything, the computer started right up, but no display. So to try and troubleshoot that I am trying to flash my BIOS. But even that isn't working so now I'm troubleshooting my troubleshooting.

Steps I took to flash BIOS:
  1. downloaded latest BIOS from ASUS
  2. Used asus renamer to rename BIOS file to P9X79.CAP
  3. Put only that file in root directory of a 2.0 32gb USB. Only thing on the USB. Using FAT32 format.
At this point, I should be able to flash the BIOS. However pressing the button (USB is in correct slot) does nothing. No lights or anything. If it was working the button should start flashing.

Since then I've tried clearing the CMOS and removing the graphics card and 1 stick of RAM. Same result, no lights or flashing.

I've had computer problem after computer problem, and it is starting to get expensive. I just need this to finally work so I'd greatly appreciate any help.

ASUS P9X79 Motherboard
i7-4820k 3.7ghz CPU
Zotac Gaming GeForce 2070 RTX GPU
2x16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
750w Corsair PSU

Last edited:

SteelBlood

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
As mentioned in the original post, there is no display, so no I have not since it isn't possible. I am also pretty sure boot list doesn't matter for this process, since it should be able to be done with no other component but the motherboard.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS