[SOLVED] Can't fully plug in sata cable into HDD

_Binz

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015
As written in the title, I found this thing happen to me today, to make it clear I'm using the 2.5" Seagate Barracuda 1tb for my ITX build since it won't fit the 3.5" drive. It never happen to me before, it first I thought it might works just fine but it didn't, my pc even shows nothing in the sata port devices. also I'm on a tight budget, so any ideas? thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Carefully inspect both the SATA cable and drive's SATA port.

Look for signs of damage, some deformity, or even debris blocking/interfering with the "click" feel.

Compare the present SATA cable to another known working SATA cable - any differences? The current cable may be physically different in some manner; ideally all the cables are made to the same specs but manufacturer's may be taking liberties with the tolerances. ....

Swap in the known working SATA cable to replace the existing cable. Determine if the cable clicks into place.

Ralston18

Titan
Two questions:

1) What ITX case are you using? You should, I think, be able to fit a 2 1/2" drive into a 3 1/2" bay. There are a number of adapters for that purpose.

2) What SATA cable are you using? The cable/connector (power and data) are standard regardless of the drive's size (2 1/2" or 3 1/2").

Are you able to take a couple of photographs. publish via imgur, and then post the links here?

Show drive bays, drive(s), and cables.

_Binz

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015
Two questions:

1) What ITX case are you using? You should, I think, be able to fit a 2 1/2" drive into a 3 1/2" bay. There are a number of adapters for that purpose.

2) What SATA cable are you using? The cable/connector (power and data) are standard regardless of the drive's size (2 1/2" or 3 1/2").

Are you able to take a couple of photographs. publish via imgur, and then post the links here?

Show drive bays, drive(s), and cables.

I'm using the fractal design node 202 btw, for the sata cable I'm using the standard cable that comes with the motherboard.
after I checked the pc once again it's just the sata cable gets off the drive lol.
also when I plug the sata cable it don't get the "click" feel, it's just like only the half of the cable is plug in, it's still working tho but it's not locking on its place like any other hdd. I might carry this pc anywhere, I'm concerning about the sata cable would be easily get off the drive

Ralston18

Titan

Look for signs of damage, some deformity, or even debris blocking/interfering with the "click" feel.

Compare the present SATA cable to another known working SATA cable - any differences? The current cable may be physically different in some manner; ideally all the cables are made to the same specs but manufacturer's may be taking liberties with the tolerances. ....

Swap in the known working SATA cable to replace the existing cable. Determine if the cable clicks into place.

Reactions: _Binz
Solution

_Binz

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015

alright , I'll take a look for those things. thanks for all of your suggestion man, thanks!