[SOLVED] Can't get 144hz on my monitor?

LampGoat

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016
Hi, I recently bought a monitor (Acer KG241 144Hz) and was stuck at 120Hz since I was using an HDMI-HDMI cable. I got a DP-HDMI cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017Q8ZX1O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
When i tried plugging it in (DP in monitor and HDMI in GPU) i kept getting "No Signal" I checked that everything was correctly plugged in, restarted my pc with everything unplugged, etc etc--no change.
I decided to flip the cable so that the DP side would be connected to my GPU and the HDMI would be connected to my monitor. I got a signal but now it's locked at 60Hz. Not sure what I should do now

EDIT: I did check my display properties but 60Hz is the highest shown (DP-GPU/HDMI-Monitor)

Solution
That adapter is directional, Displayport to Hdmi. Wont work the other way. And the reason it's locked to 60 Hz is that cable is only single link. Need an active dual link adapter which those are hard to find if they exist.

Since you said your gpu has Displayport and your monitor also has Displayport, why not use a straight through Displayport cable? Displayport will give you 144Hz.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That adapter is directional, Displayport to Hdmi. Wont work the other way. And the reason it's locked to 60 Hz is that cable is only single link. Need an active dual link adapter which those are hard to find if they exist.

Since you said your gpu has Displayport and your monitor also has Displayport, why not use a straight through Displayport cable? Displayport will give you 144Hz.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Since op is already getting 120Hz via Hdmi, id say the cable is high speed so buying an Hdmi2 labelled cable wont change anything. Labelling Hdmi versions on cable packages is deceiving as version number only reflects the Hdmi port. Any high speed cable will work, even a hdmi cable i bought saying v1.4 gave me 4k 60Hz.