[SOLVED] Can't get 4 DIMMs running at 2666MHz on B450M-A

Feb 11, 2021
I have two Kingston 4GB 2666MHz and two Adata 4GB 2666MHz, and am going for quad-channel.
My MOBO is an Asus B450M-A.
CPU is Ryzen 3 3200G with stock cooler.
Everything is brand-new.

I tried all sorts of combinations for the DIMM slots, always after a CMOS reset, but no matter how I did it, I never got the PC to boot when using all the 4 DIMM slots simultaneously. No POST beep sounds, no signal from monitor. However, as soon as I changed the memory speed (via BIOS Ai Tweak) from 2666MHz to 2400MHz, my PC was able to boot and get past POST normally. Bios is updated. Also, I don't have the option on enable D.O.C.P. on Asus EZ interface (Only Disable option is shown).Yeah, so I'm a little relieved no DIMM slot is damaged and all the memories work.

... But I'd LOVE to get my memories running at the speed they're supposed to run.

¿Any advice on how to accomplish this?

Last edited:
Solution
Firstly that system cannot operate in quad channel, it can only run dual channel but you can have 2 dimms per channel.

You can try increasing the voltage on the RAM up to 1.450v. The other thing you can try is loosening the timings but this will make any benefit of going from 2400 to 2666 minimal and could end up worse of performance wise.
Feb 11, 2021
Being you are mixing memory.....I think you are somewhat lucky it works at 2400...and it's possible you may never get 2666 with those 4 sticks together. I would try a matched set.
If I 'may' never get 2666, then that means there IS a posibility for getting 2666 with this setup (without buying a new kit). Thus if possible I'd like to know how to do it, as I'm using Ryzen with Vega 8 and I've been told that clock speed is VERY important when it comes to performance.
I also still have the doubt of what is the source of this problem. If it was an incompatibility issue, shouldn't the DIMMs not work at all, instead of working but at a lower speed?

Firstly that system cannot operate in quad channel, it can only run dual channel but you can have 2 dimms per channel.

You can try increasing the voltage on the RAM up to 1.450v. The other thing you can try is loosening the timings but this will make any benefit of going from 2400 to 2666 minimal and could end up worse of performance wise.

Reactions: OttoDobler
Solution
Feb 11, 2021

Thank you so much for this advice.
Lastly, I'd like to ask you two questions, since it's my first time making a voltage increase on a component.
1- Should I be cautious with increasing temperature readings on the RAMs when playing games?
2- Increasing the voltage will shorten significantly the lifespan of my ram sticks?
If there's something more I should be aware of, please let me know, and again, thank you.

TRENDING THREADS