[SOLVED] Cant get 60hz on samsung U28E590D monitor 4k Hdmi

Sep 8, 2019
Hi, just bought an samsung U28E590D that i have connected to my laptop ASUS ZenBook Flip 15 UX561UD-E2023T which has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 in it.

Though, I can't seem to get 60HZ 4k on the display. Been trying to understand why. It seems to me that I should be able to have it? Is that wrong?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Solution
Your laptop probably only has an HDMI 1.4 port which will only allow 30Hz at 4K, HDMI 2.0 is required for 4K 60Hz. Your laptop appears to have a USB type C Thunderbolt port, so you might be able to connect your display through that and get 4K 60Hz, you'd have to buy an adapter for that though unless your monitor has a native USB-C Thunderbolt connector on it.
Your laptop probably only has an HDMI 1.4 port which will only allow 30Hz at 4K, HDMI 2.0 is required for 4K 60Hz. Your laptop appears to have a USB type C Thunderbolt port, so you might be able to connect your display through that and get 4K 60Hz, you'd have to buy an adapter for that though unless your monitor has a native USB-C Thunderbolt connector on it.

Reactions: Wrecker75
Solution
Big thanks for the reply! Yeah, I was wondering if that was the problem. And I guess it is. Got confused when looking at sites like this reading about the graphic card (https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-Notebook.178614.0.html ) Because it says Hdmi 2.0b

Gonna look at that suggestion about using the thunderbolt port!

Yeah, while the desktop 1050 does have an HDMI 2.0 port, the notebook version is a bit dicier on that and it's kind of up to the laptop vendor, especially since a lot of the time any port on the laptop directly connects to the integrated graphics, with the dedicated graphics only getting passed through if required.

Another thing you might want to check looking at your monitor is to make sure you are using the HDMI 2.0 port on the monitor, apparently it has 2 HDMIs, but only one is 2.0, the other is only version 1.4.