Can't get 7680x1080 on 3 LG Ultrawide Monitors

ajburr

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
I've been struggling, trying to figure out how the hell to get this to work. I have a GTX 1070, with 3 LG 25UM57 Ultrawide monitors, and my glorious plan was to get the resolution up to 7680x1080. Unfortunately, no matter what I try, I can only get 5760x1080 at max.

I have 1 monitor in HDMI, 1 in DualDVI, and 1 in DisplayPort. And therein I believe lies the problem. Is it the DVI that's limiting the resolution? The Displayport? Do they ALL need to be DP?

I'm seriously confused as not one step of this plan has gone right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I debated as to whether or not I should bother posting this, but I did successfully link the 3 monitors together, one through DVI, one HDMI, and one DisplayPort. The DVI and DP are connected with adapters. In other words, all my monitors only have HDMI ports, but I connect those two with adapters.

The tricky part was the DP. I tried it with smaller, cheaper adapters and it didn't work. What I missed was reading the details of the adapters. I had to make sure it could handle 2560x1080. It actually handles much higher resolutions.

So it was just a matter of going into nVidia Control Panel and changing the resolution of each screen to 2560x1080, then going to Configure Surround and selecting 7680x1080.

Thus, IT CAN BE DONE...
Since they're ultrawide, I'll assume all 3 are at 2560 x 1080 resolution.
Why would you want to get the 7680? There won't be a noticable difference in pixel density (or any at all, depending on bezel length and such)
If you insist, its a problem with the display ports. I suspect its the HDMI.

ajburr

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
Yes all 3 are 2560x1080.

Why ask "why"? Every time I or other people bring this up, someone asks "why"? Here's why: YOU SEE MORE. Immersion, in other words.

I believe you that the HDMI is the problem. That'll be my next thing to try and fix. An HDMI to DP adapter ought to do it.

no, it's still limited by HDMI. You can't use any adapters in this situation.
Don't 1070's have 3 displayport outputs anyways?
Nvidia control panel may let you set a custom resolution though, like you have to type it in.

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
You need to use the same type of connection for all 3. Either 3 DVI-D or 3 DisplayPort. I believe you should have 3 DisplayPort available, so try those.

Edit: May need DP-to-something else adapters on all 3.

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

I don't think so. The surround system also allows you to compensate for monitor bezels. The GPU is generating 3 independent video signals mapped to the proper space along the 7680 pixel width.

I'm still not getting at what you want to accomplish here.
You have 3 x 2560/1080 monitors.
If they are side by side, aren't they basically one huge 7680x1080 monitor?
You're only making up for the bezels, which will ever so slightly increase your pixel density. But it will either result in a blind-spot or a double spot at the edges.

ajburr

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
I don't know what you're even talking about. Pixel density and crap. The whole point of having an ultra-wide monitor is to see more. The point of have 3 of them is therefore to see 3 time as much. It's a simple concept. Yes, all together they would be one big 7680x1080 monitor, assuming that the GPU would support it.
It's just a matter of having the right connections apparently. Got it now?

Anyway, I think the DP adapters I tried don't support 2560x1080. I managed to get two monitors (one DVI, one HDMI) to cooperate and I have a DP adapter coming that should support the resolution of the monitor.

Whatever happens, I won't be back, so don't bother posting.

ajburr

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
I debated as to whether or not I should bother posting this, but I did successfully link the 3 monitors together, one through DVI, one HDMI, and one DisplayPort. The DVI and DP are connected with adapters. In other words, all my monitors only have HDMI ports, but I connect those two with adapters.

The tricky part was the DP. I tried it with smaller, cheaper adapters and it didn't work. What I missed was reading the details of the adapters. I had to make sure it could handle 2560x1080. It actually handles much higher resolutions.

So it was just a matter of going into nVidia Control Panel and changing the resolution of each screen to 2560x1080, then going to Configure Surround and selecting 7680x1080.

Thus, IT CAN BE DONE. And man, it's beautiful. :D

Solution
Feb 14, 2018
Would you mind sharing what adapter you ended up using. I believe I am running into the same issue (trying to use two LG 25UM58-P 25" and one displays at 1920x1080 or something) TIA!