[SOLVED] Can't get a stable overclock using MSI OC scanner

Jan 12, 2019
I've recently installed a new PSU in my computer in the event that I want to add another GPU in the future. However, for the time being, i've used the extra watts to try and overclock my computer. I've successfully enabled XMP and enhanced turbo in the bios, however, when using the MSI OC scanner tool in afterburner, my games become unstable (overwatch looks like its suffering low FPS even though the counter is at a consistent 155) and crash. My GPU also gets a tad hot (it peaked at 89°C). The PC is situated in a room with a cool ambient temperature, and airflow is fine (there's a case fan at the top-back of the pc which blows out hot air, and the bottom of the case has cool air intake.

Here are the specs for reference:

Motherboard: Intel Z390 Gaming Pro Edition ATX
Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX 2080 TI 11GB OC
CPU: Intel i7 9700K 8-Core 4.9GHz
CPU Cooler: 240mm Enclosed Liquid Cooler
RAM: 32GB DDR4 RGB
Primary Storage Device: 250G NVMe M.2 SSD - 1500MB/s
Second Storage Device: 1TB SATA3 SSD ProSpec - 540MB/s
Power Supply: Corsair HX1200i 1200W 80 Plus Platinum

Solution
looks like gpu temp throttling to me.
I don't recall exactly but I think the throttle temp for that card is like 88C? Correct me if I'm wrong.
But regardless, that temp is obnoxiously high. Seems like a defective unit to me. I bought the same card last week and also suffered from extremely high temp (80C consistenly), which made me very uncomfortable to leave it like that for long session gaming.
I RMA it and got the Strix 2080ti, which runs extremely cool (55C max during gpu torture test). But from now on, I learned my lesson and would never buy any gigabyte card again. :(

thtran6

Upstanding
Oct 2, 2018
looks like gpu temp throttling to me.
I don't recall exactly but I think the throttle temp for that card is like 88C? Correct me if I'm wrong.
But regardless, that temp is obnoxiously high. Seems like a defective unit to me. I bought the same card last week and also suffered from extremely high temp (80C consistenly), which made me very uncomfortable to leave it like that for long session gaming.
I RMA it and got the Strix 2080ti, which runs extremely cool (55C max during gpu torture test). But from now on, I learned my lesson and would never buy any gigabyte card again. :(

Solution