can't get all the screws to screw into mobo. is this ok?help me on aim

moomoopro

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
I can get about half of them. I can't get the 2 ones closest to the I/O thingy. Can't get the exact middle one. and cant get the one that is top middle. It basically makes a square(top left). Is this ok? I have a gigabyte x48 ds4, and a cm 690 case.

and I can't seem to figure out the fans and how to install them. they connect to a 3pin adapter thing which turns into a much bigger 4 pin and a 4 pin reciever. On my mobo there are like 4 fan connects actually 5 i think.

it says theres a cpu_fan(4 pins), a sys_fan2(4 pins), sys_fan1(3 pins), pwr_fan(3 pins).

thens theres also a nb_fan(3 pins).

can someone talk to me on aim to help? strider1338

thanks.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
What do you mean you can't get them? why dont they screw in?

As for fans the cpu fan needs to be hocked up to the cpu fan conecter, but all of the case fans can connect either to the mobo or to the 4pin power connectors. Note that if you hock them up to the 4 pins then you wont be able to control their speed from the bios / other programs

moomoopro

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Well I think the I/O panel is causing that corner to lift off the case a little bit causing there to be extra space between the board and the case backing. should I try moving the connectings out of the I/O panel??

So does it matter which 3 pin connection I hook it up to?? I mean aside from the cpu fan, arent they pretty much the same? And where is the cpu fan connect? I can't seem to find it.

moomoopro

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
oh yeah, i think its because I have the retention bracket on the back of the mobo which is why its causing it to be raised there.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
the retention bracket shouldn't do that...

Are you using jumpers in between the mobo and the case??

As for where the fans plug into check the mobo manual and it will show you the locations of the cpu fan and case fans. If you dont care about controlling the case fan speeds through the bios then i would just connect them using the 4 pin connector and not worry about the 3 pin.

Kari

Splendid
ok stop right there

now you clearly don't have standoffs in there, do you?? Those little brass thingies with threads at both ends so that they screw into the mobotray and the actuall screws goes in at the other end of those standoffs, mobo being in the middle so its suspended nicely away from the tray so it wont short itself und burn up in smoke...

edit excuse my Deutsch...

moomoopro

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
ah hah. yeah thats right i believe. I was using those brass things as screws lol.

ok so wtf, did my mobo not come with screws then? Those brass things came with my case but I can't find any screws for the mobo.

I guess I have to buy some then. What kind of screws do i need to buy?

royalcrown

Distinguished

kari..excellent call friend +1

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
At this point, I'd highly recommend that you take your new bits down to your local PC shop and give them a few $ to assemble it. Watch them and learn, it's a lot cheaper lesson than you were going to get.

Your mobo screws should be included with your case, somewhere....